a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Handycap

Started by rogerschwake, June 29, 2014, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Anyone have any idea what the handicap is for the Sun Cat. I'm going to the CLR gathering the end of July and it sounds like there will be some racing involved. If I remember wright  it was talked about some time ago on this sight, but the heck if I can find it.

oddduck

Portsmouth rating is 102.8 to 103 depending on wind for the Suncat.

Here's the link - scroll down to Suncat.

http://www.ussailing.org/racing/offshore-big-boats/portsmouth-yardstick/current-tables/centerboard-classes/

Dennis

rogerschwake

Thanks for the information Dennis. I had no idea where to start looking for this.

ROGER

Salty19

Roger,

Great to hear you'll be at the CLR this year!

The race is reeeeaalll  casual.  We don't make corrections for boats, although this year we'll let the 16's and Suncats go first.
This will narrow the gap of time between finishes and make the race a little more exciting.

The Suncat PHRF is 318.

Other boats that will be there:
CP16=335
CP19=280
Eclipse=Not sure, if I were to guess 290 with old-ish sails based on observations last year.
Capril 18=288
O'Day 25=225, might be higher.
So the only thing you need to worry about is not let a 16 beat you.  Should be interesting to see how you point in comparison to others.

Depending on which way the wind is blowing, how hard, and your courage you might be much further up in the pack that you think.

See you at CLR!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

rogerschwake

The way I see it all the other boats have jibs and the Sun Cat only has a main sail. So all you should sail with out your jibs or double my handicap. What's fare is fare. What do the rest of you Sun Cat owners think about this?

ROGER

Salty19

Double Handicap? No jibs?    Why stop there!  19's and the Eclipse can also drag a drogue anchor and raise the rudder too. I mean after all, they will be the boats to beat.  That would really even up the race. Or make us sail like crazycarl

:) :) :)

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

rogerschwake,

Just put a headsail on your Sun Cat and watch her go like a rocket, especially in light air.

Here is the first homemade 38 sq. ft. Nylon Light Air Drifter I made for Sun Cat "Frisky".

And here is the 75 sq. ft. 3.3 oz homemade Polytarp Masthead Drifter to go on that 4' Bowsprit.

A homemade Tan Polytarp Working jib.

capt_nemo

rogerschwake

It sounds like you already know about tying buckets to the competions keels. I just had my scuba tank filled for nothing.

MacGyver

^^ HHAHAHAHAH

I spend most of the night before pulling the boats with my crew and rail lift at the marina, and I usually use plungers, cheap and do the trick!

Oh...... I mean, I beat the competition with experience!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

i think the pic of carl says it all roger. the "race" is just an excuse to sail together. if the slower boats start first (maybe 25 to 30 minutes sooner) than the larger boats then we should all end up together at one point of the course. i think your suncat will be faster than a 16 (well rich is pretty fast). this is one of those things we will learn this year. also i encourage the use of a water cannon to douse the spirits of ones competition. all in all it is pretty much fun and lends itself well to the lying that goes on at the saturday night awards dinner followed by the mandatory dock party. some of the best times are on land.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

rogerschwake

Stopped at the farm store yesterday and bought me a brand new straw hat, one of them there fancy ones with the green visor up front. The neighbor is ganna feed the chickens and milk the cow for me. All I have left to do is slap a good coat of goose grease on the bottom of Cherish (my Sun Cat) and look out CLR here I come.

ROGER

Tom Ray

Quote from: Salty19 on June 29, 2014, 11:04:16 PM
Roger,

Great to hear you'll be at the CLR this year!

The race is reeeeaalll  casual.  We don't make corrections for boats, although this year we'll let the 16's and Suncats go first.
This will narrow the gap of time between finishes and make the race a little more exciting.

The Suncat PHRF is 318.

Other boats that will be there:
CP16=335
CP19=280
Eclipse=Not sure, if I were to guess 290 with old-ish sails based on observations last year.
Capril 18=288
O'Day 25=225, might be higher.
So the only thing you need to worry about is not let a 16 beat you.  Should be interesting to see how you point in comparison to others.

Depending on which way the wind is blowing, how hard, and your courage you might be much further up in the pack that you think.

See you at CLR!

I'm pretty sure that PHRF number was assigned to Mark Milam's Daysailer years ago, and it's a number they just made up on the spot so he could race.

That's pretty well in keeping with Sun Cat racing traditions, but we don't need no stinking ratings any more. Sun Cats race as a class! ;)

rogerschwake

Just thought I'd let you all know that my Sun Cat finished second in the CLR race. Not to bad for a boat with no jib. Everyone make the CLR next year it's a great time with some fantastic sailors.

ROGER

kickingbug1

next year i think we will go with the phrf ratings for the start. matt (the winner) told me that he would get 54 seconds per mile. i think the race was 4 miles so that is 4 minutes. between now and next years clr we will figure it out. he was without a doubt the best racer in the fleet. with the big money spent on trophies, you can bet this will be serious business  in the future. i have to say that i think jason did one heck of a job being the race official (many thanks to him). next year will be the first year for the travelling trophy. i have a great big one in mind (can it have a golfer on top i wonder?)
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"