a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Loose-footed Main - Tack

Started by GretchenG, July 01, 2014, 01:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GretchenG

Hi, gang--  I've found lots of good advice and photos of the clew and outhaul set-up for a loose-footed main, but nothing about the tack at the other end.  My used sail doesn't fit very smoothly at the tack, and the PO made some mods that left things a little rough in the area of the lower luff edge.  Does anyone have a photo of how the tack should look, or ideas on hardware for that area?  I'd appreciate it a lot!  --Gretcheng

Salty19

What type of boat do you have?  In general a pin on the gooseneck should go through the tack grommet and two bent pieces of stainless to accommodate the pin. Tack sits between the two pieces. The style of the pin depends on the boat, and of course prior owners may of changed it like you said.   That's it, pretty straightforward.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

GretchenG

Oh, my yet-to-be-splashed boat is an older CP-16, hull 710 if I remember correctly.  These used sails came off another CP-16, I believe of similar age.  When I attach the sail grommet to what I assume is the original tack fitting (just as you describe), the loose-foot is crinkled up and doesn't flow over the boom nicely, so I think there should be some adjustment but I don't know what it would be.  Maybe just an extra shackle to make more room for the sail's loose foot?

Craig

The problem may be: 1. You are trying to use the sail in a loose footed configuration for which it was not designed/cut. 2. The sail may be blown out and baggy. Try it it its boom track first and see how it goes.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Pappy L.

I'm in need of a new main on my 19. Thinking about a loose foot. Anyone with experience? Also thinking about a traveler across the bridge deck (companion way entry) any thoughts or experience with that? Thanks! Pappy L

skip1930

Still sailing a barge called a CP-19. I'm not deviating from the designer's concept.
But loose footed may give a better sail shape some of the time.

Just smash those tell tails against the sails. She won't go any faster.

skip.

Craig

The loose footed main will probably not make a great deal of difference in performance. If you need a new main and the price is the same you might want to give it a try. You may need new outhaul hardware with the loose foot. The tracked main does provide a nice pocket to contain the sail when you furl. If you have lazy jacks it doesn't matter. Some Suncat owners have gone with a loose footed sail because the Suncat being somewhat underpowered in light air needs all the help it can get!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Salty19

Hi Pappy. Welcome, I see this is your first post.  Might want to do a search on this.  Click "home", then do a search on loose foot.

Tons of info will appear, it's been discussed for years at length.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603