a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Trailer Leaf Spring Replacement question

Started by multimedia_smith, May 22, 2006, 04:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multimedia_smith

My leaf springs are looking kinda flakey... (rusty)  also I've always felt that they were too stiff... Is this a good thing (not the flakey part the stiffness)?
Mine have 5 leaves and I don't notice any appreciable movement when I hit bumps... I know I don't want the boat bouncing off the trailer (I use a strap at the front and midships) but I feel that the ride is a bit harsh.
Has anyone replaced the leaf "slipper" springs?  If so, what did you use?
Here is a link to my local supplier:
http://www.championtrailers.com/springs.html#c_hook
Thanks in advance for any input
Dale

spaul

Hey Dale,
Seems per the chart in your url link that your trailer with 5 leaves would have a capacity for 5000 lbs. Seems a little stout for a cp16 which is what I believe you have.
Estimate your trailer weight + boat weight + gear and pick from the chart. I agree a 5 spring trailer under a cp16 probably doesn't even make the springs grunt.
I don't know if you can get torsion axle's for that small a trailer or not. I have Torsion axle's on my trailer under a cp27/2. Best ride I've ever had with a boat trailer.
Keep us informed with your upgrade.
Steve Paul
cp27/2
Nashville, IN

B.Hart

The springs are sold as to weight capacity,length,style[slipper,eyebolt] you must have a oversize trailer to have such large springs. Measure the length and your supplier can tell you the capacities. My next project on my trailer is to install new springs and u-bolts, also I am going to flip the axel to above the springs[on top] then install taller tires. Doing this I will lower the trailer then bring it back to the orignal heigth.

multimedia_smith

Earlier today I called the ComPac factory... they said that the original springs are THREE LEAF (which is what we thought it should be) and that FIVE was waayy too much.  I guess a PO put them on.    So.. that's me three leaf replacement ASAP.
Thanks to everyone who joined in the discussion.
Also, interesting idea about putting the axle on top to lower the boat... I might look into that...lower would be nicer if my rudder clears the ground.
Dale