a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Genoa sheet and cleating

Started by alsantini, July 16, 2014, 05:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

It seems like I am the only person requesting help, but then I am new to the boat, so bear with me please.  The first time I sailed the Eclipse, I noticed that the Genoa sheets would get hung up in the block.  In my box of spare parts I had two extreme angle Harken 150 cleats.  So I replaced the stock cleat.  It really releases well but is just about impossible to cleat under load.  The sheet will not hit the jaws correctly to cleat. I have to go up to the cleat and physically push the line down to get it to cleat. I think I have 3 choices and would like opinions. 1. take the angle of the cleat out by redrilling one hole to square up the cleat.  Currently it is on about a 20 % angle (in) 2.  Raise up the cleat with a riser of an inch or so. 3.  Add a 15 degree riser to the front end of the cleat so it hits the line straighter.  Opinions?  Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me.  Thanks  Al

MacGyver

Will it stay cleated?

If so, then are you pulling down while you pull it in to allow the jaws to grab when you have it where you want it? I have noticed on those it is best to have the line passing through the jaws while you pull it through.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

alsantini

It stays cleated and it does not matter what I do with it.  But, the original cam cleat had a tang on the front that would set the line into the cleat at the correct angle.  The extreme angle cleats that I have replaced with do not have the tang.  I really think the angle prevents the sheet from entering the cleat so it hits the top of the inboard cam and does not enter in between the cams.  I think I will re-drill the outboard screw hole to align the cleat straight to the sheet.  Does that make sense to you?

Eagleye

Al,
One of the first mods I did on our 06 Eclipse was to replace the stock jib sheet cleats for the same reasons you stated. What we ended up with is the Spinlock cam cleat with the swivel base.  They easily lock and unlock with a flick of the wrist, even under a load.  The swivel base model solves the problem of switching sides and getting the correct angle of the lead-in and lead-out.  They are a bit pricey but it is one of the top mods we made to our Eclipse and we would not do without them now.

-Allen

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en-us/categories/cleats-1/product_groups/pxr-cam-cleat
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

alsantini

Thanks Allen.  That is exactly the information I was looking for.  I appreciate it.  The installation of the xtreme angle cam cleats on my Precision 21 (Previous boat) was also the best mod I made so I figured it would improve the Eclipse as well.  Getting that angle correct will be the key and I never thought about a rotating cleat.  Great.  Thanks

alsantini

Well, today I relocated the cam cleat so it is square to the sheet.  I drilled a new outboard hole leaving the inboard one as is.  The extreme angle cleat has a large base that completely covered the original hole.  So rather than the 20 degree inward angle, mine are now square to the sheet and it works fantastic.  A lot less cleating problems and especially when single handed, it works great.  I will post pics later