a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

ob topic rears ugly head again - please do advise

Started by LaGatta, June 21, 2014, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaGatta

Best I can tell, most Sun Cats sail with 4,, or 5 or 6 hp auxiliary gas outboards, but I am new to the Sun Cat and to this area: SC, Calibogue/Port Royal Sound.  Tides here are fully 8 feet, with currents around 1 - 1.5 kts.(shoals on way to open water).  I have a 10-yr-old Yamaha 4 (4 stroke) in good enough condition, but I am thinking that something with more oomph would be a good idea for both safety and psyche.  I appreciate the thoughts of any who care to share them w/ this novice  Jeff

Craig

The 4hp should be sufficient for the Suncat. That being said,we had a6hp Tohatsu on Cattitude. You should test your present motor under various current/wind conditions. Personally, I would err on the high side of hp. When you need it there is no such thing as too much power,
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

LaGatta,

My newer Yamaha 4 HP 4-stroke pushes my Sun Cat at hull speed at around ½ throttle or so. Therefore, there should be sufficient throttle (additional thrust) remaining to overcome 1 to 1½ knot currents and/or punch through a rough chop against heavy winds out on the sounds.

Agree with Craig's recommendation that you test your current OB in various conditions BEFORE buying a larger more expensive OB. You may be pleasantly surprised.

capt_nemo

johnbeard43

check it out and you will find the 4, 5, and 6hp Tohatsu have the exact same torque, which is what you are looking for in a displacement craft.  I used a 4hp Tohatsu on a 26ft 5000lb sloop and found it quite adequate.  Save yourself a few hundred bucks and go with the 4.

frank

I have had my 4hp 4stroke on my suncat since new and have never wished for more power or felt in any way underpowered. Trailered her all over to various conditions during 8yrs.... can't see needing more..."hull speed is hull speed"... even in a current it won't plane and go any faster...and the 4 does it at less than 1/2 throttle. Just my 1 1/2 cents  :-)
PS...great boat!!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

kickingbug1

i have a 4 hp merc 4 stroke (tohatsu?) on the back of my catalina 18 (1550 displacement) and it pushes it easily to hull speed less than half throttle. should be more than enough. one thing, dont add extra weight if you dont have to
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"