a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Arco 6 Winch Maintenance

Started by jgsharpe, January 20, 2013, 06:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgsharpe

I put together a few pictures showing the disassembly, maintenance and reassembly of the Arco 6 Winch.  Hope it's of interest to someone.

- Jeff

http://photobucket.com/arco6
'Some Day'   Com-Pac 23   1981   Hull #164
Sabine Bay Marina     Pensacola Beach, Florida

ribbed_rotting_rusting

Very well done, nice winter project.Not to sound like an idiot but are these the winches on older Com-pacs? It is 0 degrees outside (a month late) and I am not going out there for anything less than a matter of life or death.   Mike

jgsharpe

Hi Mike, I have Arco 6's on my 1981 CP23.  I think they are original. These pics are from a previous rebuild, different boat. Needed to dust them off to remind myself how to deal with the current set.  What winches do you have?

MacGyver

Mine is a 1989 and it has Lewmar 6's on it, look to be the same pretty much as the Arcos

Arcos might be pre 89..... maybe made by the same company though and sold under different names......

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

ribbed_rotting_rusting

1980 CP-23   I did just pick up some small Gibbs for running halyards back to cockpit== a little over kill but the price was right. I think the Arcos might be the originals. I do know Lewmar bought Gibbs and a host of others. I also know I cannot believe the price Lewmar and Anderson get for their winches, and that is not figuring in 2 speed or self tailers. A couple of those and your looking at new sails and Bimini and still hundreds left to spend. Mike

Bob23

A very generous previous owner put Andersen 12 ST's on my 1985 23/2. What a guy! Very easy to service and parts kits are not too far out of the ballpark.

Bob23

NateD

Internally and externally those Arcos look very similar to the Lewmar 6s on my 1992.

jgsharpe

Bob, are those Andersons mounted at an angle to give the sheet a better entry path?

ribbed_rotting_rusting

ANDERSEN
#12 Geared One-Speed Stainless Steel Self-Tailing Winch

$599.99  On sale  normally  799.00

SCV500226 #28 Self-Tailing Winch: Two Speed Price: $1,067.50  about the same size as the #12

Bob23

Yes, I believe that's the reason for the angles winch pads although I did not install these winches. And, yes- they are pricey. But the operation is flawless and the finish is very nice. I like the self tailers...simplifies things a bit. The previous owner made a number of small upgrades that seemed to indicate he loved the boat.
Bob23

skip1930

Some how this post never showed up on my 'not read yet' list.
Glad I saw it on 3-21-2014.

I wonder why? I have never pulled a winch off the boat. How is the winch attached to the combing?
I suppose working it down piece by piece will tell all.

skip.

Tim Gardner

I agree skip - I missed it too.  BTW I have for FREE if someone wants them 2 brand new Watski winchers with a 2&5/8ths  bore.  They may fit those 6's.

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Geoff

Just as a side note:

I was maintaining my Arco 6 winches last night (from a 1978 build Compac 23), and the only substantial differences between your (newer) Arco 6 winches and my older Arco 6 winches are the following:

1. Retaining clip (circlip) at bottom is the same style as the top one in your pictures and does not require the special circlip pliers.
2. Springs in the pawls are a different design and are very easy to lose (I had to hunt for 2 minutes on the garage floor for one that tried to get away).
3. Phenolic washer where the shaft meets lower assembly (sits atop the plastic core post) is a single piece, not in halves.

That's about it. I'm now on the quest to find some butyl tape to rebed these guys. I'm also just greasing the shaft. Everything else is getting some special oil I use on my mountain bike chain. Definitely don't grease the pawls; that will lead to them sticking.

Thanks again for posting these photos! Nicely done.

Geoff