a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Topsides Stain Remover

Started by idouglas, April 05, 2007, 02:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idouglas

While this is not technically speaking a Hardware Modification question, I would like some advice on removing stains from the topsides/hull of my CP-16III.  More specifically, the former owner had put the name of the boat on the transom with those cheesy, 3 inch, black, block, vinyl letters from a hardware store.  I recently removed the letters (thinking I might either change the name of the boat if such does not bring bad luck, or at the very least get a good decal of the old name - haven't decided yet.)  Anyway, the glue on the letters seems to have discolored the transom with a yellowish stain so that it looks as if the name is still on the boat, only now in dingy yellow and not black letters.   Does anyone know a good way to remove the stain, or a good stain removing solvent that will not hurt the awlgrip/fiberglass?  Any and all advice is welcome.  Thanks.

idouglas

spaul

This is a question posed by all boat owners sooner or later as stains develop and the boat ages in the Sun. I've tried many compounds on many boats and all act differently at times on different stains. I can only share my experience so read with  caution :).
My favorite stain remover is a product from Poly Glow Inc. out of Ft. Pierce, Fl. They have a hotline and are on line as well. 1-800-922-5013. This is a primary cleaner for applying their acrylic shine product to the hull. It will clean fiberglass better than anything I've ever tried and I was a chemist at one time in my life.
Now, the other things I'd try are locally obtainable. I like Soft Scrub for certain stains, usually of organic nature, ie. blood, food stains and the like. For the adhesive you're speaking of there are two problems. You mentioned your boat may be Awlgripped, then you need to be careful and test the cleaner before you wipe out that paint under the stains. Another thing that happens with decals is the glue dries out as it ages and becomes part of the surface of the fiberglass or the paint underneath. I'd try letting it sit in the Sun as much as possible and let the UV bleach away at it for awhile. I've had good luck with adhesives with two or three products. Acetone for one but it will soften the fiberglass eventually. Try carburetor cleaner too, on a rag do not spray as it will run down and can leave more stains. Use a cloth and let it soak to soften the old adhesive. I've also used GOOF OFF, a product for removing glues and dried latex paints. Soak the stain with this too and see if it will remove some of the material.
I assume the name or letters have been on for awhile so part of what  you see may be Sun bleaching of the non-covered areas, so this will enhance the contrast of the "stain" so it looks much worse than it really is.
I can't promise results but if your boat is Awlgripped you may have to repaint eventually and you'll likely find the same color doesn't match anymore. If it's the transom then you could just paint the transom again an no one would ever know.
Just some thoughts on a cold Spring day, easy for me to say.
Good luck and let us know of any success. If the transom falls off we don't know you.  :)

Steve Paul

idouglas

Thanks Steve:

I think I'll go the easy/lazy route first.  I'll try a little soft-scrub and then see if the sun will bleach the letters over the summer.  If not then I'll follow your more aggressive suggestions.  Thanks again.

idouglas

spaul

Idouglas, I hope I've been of some use. I answered your post since I've dealt with this on more than one boat. You can find some nice decals here on the net or you can probably have one made at a local sign company. Perhaps even covering up some of what you don't like.
Happy sailing,
Steve

rmonsma

I have quite a few stains on my deck and cabin that have been nearly impossible t remove.  They are small and range in size from the size of a pea to the size of a dime.  They are rusty brown in color and some look a bit veined in appearance.  I was wondering if they were caused by pieces of leaves or some other organic thing that remained in contact with the deck.  I've tried all the cleaners I had in my house even using soft scrub and barkeepers friend.  The only thing that even touched them at all was the bar keepers friend but even that didn't work very well. 

Has anyone run up against this before?  Suggestions?

I need one of those miracle products they show on the infomercials.  Wipe on and the stain is gone like magic :-).

Thanks for the help!

Roger

Paul

My experience with stain removers has been fairly good with Soft Scrub for leaf litter types of stains.  For more stubborn stains, I've used FSR From Davis (can be found at boating stores) as well as Oxalic acid (found in same stores + hardware stores).  Those two are meant only for fiberglass, so proceed with caution if surface is painted.  Both cleaned all the stains on our boat without hurting the gelcoat.  However, I don't think either will remove the ghost images of a previous name

FWIW, Oxalic acid is also used for bleaching wood.  So, for those who don't want your teak getting too dark, bleaching the wood will help maintain a truer color when stained.

My 2 cents.

Craig Weis

Leaf litter? Are you a 'birder' too as well as a sailor?
It is tough to remove stains as they leach deep down into the pours of fiberglass.
I use chrome polish, the cheaper the better then a really good wax [Mother's] to fill those pours.

I think this works pretty good as these two chemicals are 'like' compounds. I'm not embedding or sealing in an acid by covering it over with wax...or whatever. Chrome polish and wax are 'like' substances. No chemical imbalance. No reaction. Everybody is happy on a molecular level. skip

Paul

I simply followed the directions on the jar of FSR.
Worked great for me.

I know "acid" sounds scary :o but I wouldn't have put it on my 16 if I thought it would hurt her.  She's too precious. :-*

Paul

rmonsma

I bought a jar of FSR and when I read the active ingredient it said Oxalic acid.  This happens to be the same active ingredient in Bar Keepers friend, a common household powered cleaner.  FSR is expensive - Bar Keeper's Friend is cheap.  Seems to work very well.

Is there any reason not to use it?

Roger

mike gartland

Can't vouch for what's in FSR but it has worked wonders for me on all kinds of stains.  3M has an adhesive remover (can't remember the exact name) that also does wonders to remove old adhesives, even 5200 if isn't too thick.  The combination of the 3M product and FSR haven removed just about anything we've come across.  Don't know what either one would do to Awlgrip as I've only used them on gelcoat.

Mike
Mike23