a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sacrificial Cloth Question for Furling Sail

Started by JBC, May 15, 2014, 09:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBC

I have a pretty new 110% furling jib on my CP 16/III.  I've decided to keep this boat on its trailer for this summer at a lake rather than trailer-sail as I usually do.  To make this as convenient as possible, I want to leave the jib rolled up on the furler, ready to go.  Problem is, it has no protection from the sun on the foot and leech. 

To those of you gurus who sew sails, what would you recommend for sacrificial cloth.  We can sew it on (OK, my wife is skilled in this area, so SHE will do that part).  But, not sure of the cloth to use.  I assume only one side of the sail's foot and leech will be necessary, and I'll make sure that side is the outside one when furling the sail.

I suppose I could buy strips of UV resistant cloth, or such, but wondering if anyone has experience/recommendations in this area.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jett

crazycarl

The genny on our 19 has a layer of what appears to be sail cloth.

I've owned other boats that had Sunblella sewn to their gennys.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MacGyver

Really uou only have 2 choices I believe.
UV SailCloth (different from regular sailcloth)
and Sunbrella.

Sunbrella is heavy in comparison.
Also, what type of machine do you have? You will have to sew into the patches at the Tack, Head and Clew, and those can get quite thick..... You will need a good machine to do that.

I recommend V 69 thread, it is a UV polyester thread. and a size 16 needle called a Serv7 since it will best penetrate the sailcloth.

I just built my own sail, and am working now on my mainsail. Not sure if you have a spare furler but I opted for a sail furler sock, to keep the weight off my headsail for lighter winds. Also I like the ability to not have to jack with the sacrificial cover later when it goes bad since it would have been attached to the sail..... This way when the sock goes bad, I just build a new one and replace it.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

JBC

Thanks guys.

Mac, I thought of the sock idea and think I'll pursue that after hearing your concerns about the sacrificial cloth issues.  Though we could rent a heavy duty sewing machine, I agree that the sock might serve just as well, especially since I've got the spare jib halyard and block, and the luff is relatively short on a 16 for purposes of running the sock up and down.  We can certainly make a sock on our home machine.

Jett

Bob23

Jett:
  Since I'm not much of a sewer, I had my sailmaker supply an ATN sock on the 130% on my 1985 23 when he built the sails. Sure, there's a bit more time involved putting it up and taking it down, but the sail is 100% protected from the elements. I like it...if you can make your own, all the better.
Bob23

capt_nemo

Recommend you go with a reasonably snug but easily employed sock with UV protection in the fabric.

As an alternative to Sunbrella, consider Weathermax Fabric. Here's a link:

http://leesailcovers.com/Weathermax80.php

capt_nemo

JBC

Thanks again All for the sound advice and info.  On to building my sacrificial sock!

Lafayette Bruce

I have used the Weathermax material and even had Lee Sail Covers make my sock.  They are fantastic to work with and I think the Weathermax material can run circles around Sunbrella.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

Salty19

Just a note, you do need a spare halyard for the sock.  Depending on the furler, you may or not be using the standard jib halyard already , and if you are not, you may or may not be able to reinstall it to use with the sock, or install a new one if needed.  Make sure nothing can foul the furler up top! That is more important than anything.
So you might need to put a hound and block on the mast above the forestay to keep the sock hardware away from the furler.

"As convenient as possible". That what I wanted too, and went with the sewn in Sunbrella. No add'l work needed, and it's not going to get shaggy for a number of years.

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

JBC

Thanks Salty,

I did think about the rigging issues when deciding to go with the sock.  I do have a topping lift rigged at the top of the mast (a small line with a knot on one end running through a hole in the mast cap above the sheaves), so I'm going to re-rig that to accommodate a small block for the original jib halyard on that side of the mast, with the topping lift running from the other, and see if that works without anything fouling the furler.  I think it'll work.  If the sock proves to be too inconvenient, I'll go back to the sacrificial cloth for the jib.  Just didn't want to order a new genoa with the built-in cloth since my furling jib is only two years old.  Didn't think at the time I ordered it I'd leave the boat out in the high altitude sun all summer.  The PO did that and the old genoa rotted along the length of the foot and leech where exposed to the sun when furled.

So happens I remembered I have some old Sunbrella grab rail covers I got at a yacht surplus years ago...made a tiller cover out of one of them.  Since they are about the right width already, about 8' long, and have useful snaps here and there, I plan to sew several lengths together for the sock, add additional grommets and snaps as necessary and try it all out.

Jett