a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailrite Sail kits

Started by MacGyver, May 05, 2014, 10:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGyver

My wife and I have taken on the Sailrite kits for new sails for our boat.
We just finished the headsail which was built for roller furling which we are also adding this year. The kit was very nicely done, and the instructions are decent, not telling you how to sew the sail you bought, but kind of generic in essence as they make it to cover a broad range. It did however seem that certain aspects were added to specifically cover sections of my sail in particular.
It certainly helps to watch the videos as well.

What major issues did I have? Well, space can be a issue..... you have to be crafty about rolling the sail and such to make it work in the throat of the sewing machine or in the room allotted. At one point I was sending the sail from one side of the house into the other and then ended up running through my office, through the dining room and into the kitchen, with some in the utility room....... It was the straightest shot through the house we had.

The next thing was to take it outside into the garage where my floor is smooth, and I have about 25 feet clear of run. then sail gets sent outside into the rock driveway because of space. I did take a canvas I have and laid it out to allow the sail to ride on that on the driveway which worked well. I will mop that floor next time as sweeping didnt have it clean enough for my likes.....

The FF2 furler was installed last night at 830 pm. In the near dark we struggled to get it on and assembled. I have no clue why I didnt wait till morning.... but it is on nonetheless.

Today I will install the sail, and take some pictures. All in all I think the sail kit is worth the money, because it literally is the nicest sail I have seen as far as the corners and construction. I might be biased a little because I constructed it, but after that work, I think I am entitled somewhat.

Pictures to follow later.
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Bob23

Thanks, Mac. Very cool.
   I have toyed with a Sailrite spinnaker kit for my 23 but it's so far down on the list. Can't wait to hear about how the new sail will transform your 19. I guess you're really serious about the CLR races, eh?
Bob23

capt_nemo

MacGyver,

Congratulations on adding the "sailmaker" skill to the long list of skills you already have. Waiting for photos.

I've made seven (7) sails for my two sailboats from scratch, 2 mains and 5 headsails, after studying several good books on the subject. I use my wife's old VIKING Machine, sometimes with a walking foot, that produces great straight and zig zag stitches through multiple layers of cloth using special UV resistant thread.

I know how you must feel when you look at the finished product knowing that you made it yourself. Ain't it wonderful!

capt_nemo

MacGyver

"I guess you're really serious about the CLR races, eh?
Bob23"

You bet! I am currently in training, I am fasting and running 1 mile every day.  Serious Business!

"I know how you must feel when you look at the finished product knowing that you made it yourself. Ain't it wonderful!
capt_nemo"

Very much so! I cannot beleive the compliments I have gotten already, one guy even went as far as to say he thinks it is just as good a quality as professional made sails. Really makes a guy feel good to hear stuff like that and to actually see the finished project turn out well.

I have a few pictures but the app wont upload so hopefully  I figure it out.....

We just got the lines solved now and it is ready to go, just havent been able to get out and sail since I went with my wife the 26th of April for our anniversary. I really want to play with the roller furling to  check it all out.
I am also just starting the Mainsail. I might try to document it slightly through the process so others can see what it all entails. Sailrite makes it look easy which it is but to beginners it is daunting at the start.

Building your own sails I must say helped me to understand other aspects of them i didnt know before, and I wouldnt be opposed to repairing my own now for sure!

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

MacGyver

Here are the pictures, it is not super detailed, the others didnt turn out.

I have yet to try it out so hopefully in a few days I will know how it does.

Mac

-Alaine Gerbault.

capt_nemo

MacGyver,

Looks great from here!

Hope it performs to your liking.

capt_nemo

Vipersdad

You need to come up with a MacGyver logo.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Bob23

How 'bout a Swiss Army knife with a CP19 behind it?
Mac:  That will be a cool feeling the first time the wind fills the sails you made with your own hands! Congrats!
Bob23

crazycarl

i got a peek of the genny yesterday and the stitching looked fantastic.

this year for clr, i'm bringing all my ripped jeans and material for a new bimini.

i suggest we send our requests in for next winter's projects.

i'm 1st.

cc

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

Great idea, Carl.
   I have an extensive supply of old Converse sneakers, Carhart pants with holes in the knees, old t shirts and very used wool socks. I bet Mac could repurpose those into something really useful for all of us.
Bob23     

crazycarl

Carhart sails would last a life time!

Wool socks would make good winch covers.

The legs from jeans?  Tiller covers!

I can see it now...bob sailing his 23 around the  jersey shore, showing that he's no snob with his patchwork sails.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

capt_nemo

crazycarl,

Bob23 with patchwork sails - now that I've just gotta see!

Someone please take a photo to share the momentous occasion with us all.

capt_nemo