a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Salty19's port device

Started by crazycarl, May 17, 2014, 12:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

i finally got around to making the port screens/rain diverters Salty19 invented.

they have been installed and working as should, all week in the rain.

they allow the boat to breath while not letting any water in.

thanks salty!

cc
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

BruceW

looks cool; I take it there's a thread about this somewhere. I'll have a look. I know how it is when you are inside and want ventilation that keeps the rain out.

Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Bob23

Hey Carl: What's that waste line coming out of your starboard portlight?
Bob23

crazycarl

Quote from: Bob23 on May 18, 2014, 01:56:26 AM
Hey Carl: What's that waste line coming out of your starboard portlight?
Bob23

Well...if you were to ask my wife, she'd tell you it's the overflow for the bull?¤¿? coming out my mouth.

Bob23

My wife would say those are too small for the overflow needed to accomodate my bs. Way too small.
Bob23

BruceW

My wife keeps looking at me and saying she is amazed lightning hasn't struck me. Wonder what she is talking about? ;) Heck, we have only been married since 1985, so we hardly know one another.
Bruce Woods

MacGyver

"My wife keeps looking at me and saying she is amazed lightning hasn't struck me"

BruceW, I have indeed been struck by lightning, my wife wonders why I havent won the lottery. Frankly, I do too........ I would have preferred the lottery over the lightning.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Cruzin

What size pipe is that you used and what type of elbow? I think a trip to Home Depot is in order.
Dale
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

crazycarl

3" pvc 90* elbow.

i cut a 15* angle on the one end and sanded the other end until it fit the port.

i also cut 1/4" from a straight piece and pushed it in to hold screens at both ends.

i imagine a 45* elbow would also work.

cc

BruceW

Cool info on the PVC vent, Carl; Mac, dang, you were charmed that day, huh. I agree on lottery, for sure.
Bruce Woods

kickingbug1

is there nothing that cant be made using pvc pipe. carl i have to agree with joanie on this one. gee wiz who out there wouldnt agree with joanie. hey buddy i stepped the mast on the bigger boat ( i wont mention the make) and i used your idea of a block on the bow to run the jib halyard through and back to the jib sheet winch and cleat. it worked great. im not so weak as i thought as i could just walk the mast up. thanks crazy man. i will have a different boat at the clr. so people can make fun of my looks and my ride this year. hey e mail me with pics of the awards when you get one done. you da man
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"