News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

How do you maximize space in your Compac?

Started by newt, November 01, 2009, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newt

Alright- lets say that you are cruising...either alone are with one other person. What do you get rid of from the standard CP to make more room? My first idea is the table. What else? I got rid of the stove, but put a stove/heater with a wood cover so I can use that table for navigation. Sink is still in. Thinking of one of those coolers with the thermocouple for 12 volt plugin- or should I just go with ice?

Bob23

Good ideas, Newt.
   I plan to install the porta-potti in the storage space just forward of the bulkhead, starboard side. Then I can use all the space under the companionway. Early on, I installed a removable plywood floor over the bilge where the bilge pump pickup is. No tools are required to remove it and inspect the bilge. I guess I should learn this photobucket thing and get some photos out here. Or I could email 'em to you, if you'd like.
   I like the stove and pulled out the sink. That'll be a nav station/table if I ever get around to it.
   I'm trying to keep the number of machines on board to a minimum. I bought a good cooler and use block ice. I've had cubes in there for 3 days. A block should last longer. Or, better yet, forget the refridgeration altogether. Great article in a Good Old Boat mag a few issues ago about a family of 5 cruising with no refridgeration. I like simpel..something I can understand.
   My 23 had lift-off panels over the storage shelves on the sides. Pain in the butt taking them off and putting them back on. Using some hardwood scraps I had lying around and some opaque 1/8" fiberglass sheet, I made sliding panels...much more convenient. Not any more room but more accessability.
   I'm looking forward to all the different ideas that other Compac-tors out there are using.
Bob23...I need more space, too! But not a bigger boat- my 23 is just fine!

kchunk

The stove and sink we use quite a bit. The one thing I've done to add a lot of storage was add a nets to the shelves above the cabnets above the port and starboard berths. I found them at a marine surplus store here in town. The bottom of the nets are snapped on and the tops hooked so I can remove them if needed but they work great!Here are a couple pics:

We got clobbered by a storm off Long Key this summer, and even though we were loaded heavy for a couple days cruise, we had no mess to clean up down below. Works great!

--Greg

Bob23

Greg:
   Love the nets. I may copy our design. Did your panels originally have hinges or did you add them. My panels, which are of teak plywood and trim, lifted off- not hinged. I added the sliding panels in place of the lift-off panels.
David:
   Man, you sure pack a lot of stuff into your 19. Good use of space.
Bob23...got me thinking.

kchunk

Hi Bob! Yeah the cabinet doors are hinged...the boat came like that, at least it was like that when I bought it.

--Greg

brackish

Some great ideas in the posts above.  As an ex manufacturing manager I have been exposed to Kaizen and, in particular the 5S process.  So my first step when I got this boat was to take everything off and evaluate the need and quantity of each item using the criteria of a cruise being a maximum of one week.  Then downsize containers and replace only that quantity, putting the rest in a dock box for replenishment as necessary.  As a result of that, I have so much room, I can't imagine running out.  A place for everything, everything in its place.

Food was a big issue, used to cruise with BIL and he would take the planned menu and just run down the grocery aisle and load up with quantities far greater than needed.  Then we would have to find space for it and keep the perishables cold.  Ended up having a bunch of supplemental ice chests to trip over.  After a couple of those cruises I took over the packing and broke down the packages to just what we needed.  Like moving from a closet to a mansion.

Maybe a little obsessive, but sure makes a cruise more enjoyable.

Frank

Craig Weis

Since I don't live on my boat I feel no need to maximize a thing.
I like it un cluttered. And things stowed away with out embellishments to the cabinetry.

Well except for the one hatch leading down under the vee birth where all the extra bulky life jackets end up in case I have guests on board. Then I'll drag out the number required.

I use to stow all this stuff the first season.

Then EVERYTHING not used that season was never allowed back on board.

skip.

nick23

One other idea...make extra cutout panels for the storage areas under the main berths.  My 1989 CP 23 only had one cut-out per side, so it was almost impossible to access all the space under there.  I added two more cutouts on each side for better access.  I think the newer 23s might have this standard.

Overall I think the CP 23 has a lot of space...it just needs to be maximized through good organization and finding the right containers, etc. to make good use of all the areas.

newt

Wow- we ought to condense this thread and put it in the FAQ's. Great advice! I am going to use a bunch of these ideas! And do you remember the name of that cooler that kept ice for 3 days (the chunky type- just think what the block would do!)

Craig Weis

I chuck the beer bottles on top of the bildge pump and fill with crushed ice then slide the potty over the top of the drop in hatch. Three days max. LOL skip.

I forgot I added these.