a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

OT: XP signing off for a while

Started by hinmo, April 08, 2014, 09:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

Anyone else hanging in there with XP? Guess I will be scarce until I fork over min $300 or so for a laptop with Windows 7...would rather spend it on my CP16.

Over and out for a while

mikkel

Get rid of internet destroyer(explorer)      check out Google chrome until u decide what to do or just go.........sailing

Tadpole

hinmo,

I'm sticking with XP, at least for now.  XP will not quit working just because Microsoft quit supporting it.  I use Mozilla firefox for my browser, and Avast (free version) for virus protection.  Avast has already committed to continuing it's support for XP.  I've been keeping my old Dell running with XP simply because it works well, is intuitive, and very stable...also because I have literally thousands of dollars worth of high-end software...that still runs just fine. 

I realize that eventually I'll have to bite the bullet and get another computer.  When that time comes, I'll probably look for a late model laptop running Windows 7.  I've already checked for compatibility, and Windows 7 will run all my XP production software.  In all honesty, since I've retired, my computing demands have diminished somewhat, however, I still do high quality graphics and video production.  The old Dell works a little slower, but so do I.

Tadpole

skip1930

I deep sixed [literally] my two Desk Tops monitors, and key boards running XP.

For around $340 bought a HP Lap Top 2000-360 running Windows 7 and Goggle Chrome.
Been running fine September 2011.

Avast is all you need

We are on Charter and every 7 or so years you'll should replace the modem and router, which are internet provider sensitive.

skip.

mattman

Keeping xp, but won't let computer run connected 24/7. I turn that machine off if not using. I need xp as the  laptops have a digital audio input. When I plug in an instrument to learn a song the input and subsequent output is sightly delayed from the song streaming or playing from a drive, making it impossible to play with. Really annoying. If I use the laptop, it goes in one channel on the mixer, instruments into the others. but it is just not as easy as 1 cable and a set of headphones. 

hinmo

ok - got the Wally world $300 special, not loving it, Windows 8 tough to use (so far), came with a 15 day, no questions asked return/money back....we'll see. And, uncovered the CP today and moved it into a position to try raising the mast in the yard.....60 days and counting!

Michael

I like Zorin linux for an operating system. You can download and install it for free (it's pretty easy, even I can do it), it doesn't catch viruses or other MS illnesses, it looks and works almost identical to XP, and it even runs most older MS software. Comes with Chrome and Firefox (I like Firefox), Libre Office, which is an open-source MS compatible office suite, and all the stuff you might want or expect from an operating system. The best part (for me) is that it is created by dedicated computer geeks who are interested in making useful software for free. Google Zorin linux if interested. I have been a linux user for a long time, but have no connection to any software vendor nor profit from its use. I just like the idea of thousands of smart people working to create something useful and good, and offering it freely to everyone. (Stepping down off the soapbox now)

I work for a non-profit educational institute and have just had to purchase and deploy three new computers because of Microsoft's abandonment of XP. What a hassle, but I could not recommend continuing to use XP. Caveat emptor.

Another option is to turn the computer off for a month or so and go sailing.

Fair winds,

MM in Wonder

hinmo

The Wallyworld junk lasted a day, I returned it on full refund today. Forked out another hundred and got a W7K laptop.....support through MS thru 2020....good enough for this ol man