Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailpro alternator connection

Started by fried fish, April 10, 2014, 08:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fried fish

Hi guys,
I have a new Tohatsu with the alternator option on the way.
Can anyone tell me how and where they made the alternator connection to get to the battery?
Is there drilling involved?
Thanks,
-capt fred-

brackish

My batteries are is in the forward part of the starboard cockpit compartment.  I came from the motor through the same existing tube that the gas line goes through, then through a hole under the fuel cover in the starboard cockpit seat section that had been put in at the dealer when the boat was new.  It is protected with a small stainless steel clamshell vent  cover and further protected by the fuel locker cover.  From there straight to the battery.  I hook up to one battery but set my selector switch to both before starting the motor so that it will charge both batteries.

fried fish

Hey Brack,
My 1984 23 does not have a clam shell protected hole. No hole at all. I will need to introduce one.
Does this opening protect from water coming in in an emergency situation?
If so, where might I find one?
-Fred-

moonlight

It's pretty common to drill a 1/2" or so hole, run the wires through it, fill it with caulk, and cover with a small clamshell vent.  Any chandlery with Perko or Sea Dog or other products should have them; also available online if you don't have a local marine store.  Be sure to note the material you drill through; if any wood shavings come out you should further over drill it, fill it solid with epoxy, and then drill a smaller original size hole through the middle.  This keeps the wood core dry almost forever.  Also treat mounting holes for the three screws that hold the clamshell vent this way.

fried fish

Thanks for that info guys.
Hey Brack, how high up the wall in the cockpit area is that penetration?
I assume it is placed as high as possible without interfering with structural integrity or function of gas storage cover.

brackish

As high as you can get it without interfering with the fuel locker cover.

Mine was done when I got it, however, if I were doing it from scratch I would use something like this instead.  Or one of those VTE through bulkhead terminal connector.  Then the short length of cable you get with the motor will make it to the connector and you can wire from there to the battery.  GenuineDealz sells two conductor 16 ga. covered marine cable very inexpensively.

http://www.jmsonline.net/perko-watertight-deck-connection-4fw2256.htm

BruceW

brackish,

I have one of those recepticles on the bulkhead under the gas tank cover. I will trace it to see where it goes. Issue is, how to buy the male end. Looks like they are always sold as a set.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

jthatcher

When i  installed my new sailpro last summer, I used the existing wiring left over from the old johnson..   it is run straight through the transom with a clamshell  cover.   everything seemed fine until  the wire got caught in the engine lift and was cut..   and even then all seemed fine - no big deal that i was not charging the battery - i could live without it for the remainder of the season..   until the day that it happened to short on the engine bracket..  ( yes, i had neglected to disconnect it from the battery)   Looking back, I realize that a lot of problem solving that I do in life is a result of dealing with problems that I have created - and this was no exception!  The resulting fire ( smoldering wires)  was a bit of a scare..  and occurred at two places..   1  at the battery  2  at the point of entry  in the transom..   I don't know how long it might have taken to burn through the fuel line if it had been running next to it in the  fuel line access, but i sure am glad that i did not find out!! 

of course, the chances of this happening again or to anyone else who would have immediately recognized that the wire should be disconnected from the battery when it was cut are rather slim..    But,  I happen to be one sailor who is happy that the charging wire is at least a few inches away from the fuel line!