a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

AWL-Fair vs Bondo

Started by Tadpole, March 20, 2014, 02:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tadpole

My CP-16/III has a few small nicks & scrapes on the bottom of the keel.  Nothing serious, just normal wear and tear in my opinion.  However, being somewhat "picky" I would like to repair them.  Since buying my boat, I've been scouring the archives looking for tips.  One of the topics that has come up frequently is using AWL-Fair instead of Bondo for filling holes.

For those of us who grew up in the late 50's and early 60's fixing cars, to demean Bondo is almost blasphemous! (ain't that right Skip!)  However, after reading several of Mac,s comments...I understand, and cede to modern chemistry.  The real-world problem is...what to do if you only need a couple of ounces of filler, and you don't want to spend megabucks on AWL-Fair,  no matter how good it is.  I've only seen it offered in quarts.  Is there a more cost effective solution? 

Comments?

Tadpole

sailen69

Tadpole,

If you are not concerned about making a gel coat color match, unless it is white, I would recommend using white Marine-Tex.  I have used it on many small boat repair jobs including gouges and scrapes on the keel.   You can get it in a small amount and only mix part of it at a time.

Good luck,

Rich 

brackish

Bottom of the Keel?  Marine Tex is a good small quantity solution.  Keep in mind that what you are looking for is an epoxy based compound which Bondo is not.  there are lots of them.  System Three quick fair, Pettit easy fair, West systems has several, MAS has them, Interlux has a version...and the list goes on.  Or you can mix your own by using laminating epoxy thickened with wood flour.  Do a search for epoxy based patching and fairing compounds and you'll see plenty.  However, if you just need a little, Marine Tex is your best bet.

skip1930

Listen to brachish.

Use Marine-Tex. I usually buy the large jar/hardener kit.
I mix it all up [because I'm terrible at achieving proper ratios] in a toss a way 3 inch tray and use a 3 inch paint roller for big scares and dents around the nose of the keel. For tiny jobs I still mix up the small jar/hardener kit and dab some here and dab some there.

Cure and sand and paint.

After tiring of repairing the keel and it's vertical leading edge, I cut a 6mm aluminum 'KEEL BOOT' and glued that on with rolled-on Marine-Tex.
A few years later some 22ga. stainless steel was cut, formed, trimmed, glued and faired with Marine-Tex then painted with my water base house painted bottom. It's all still there and hanging on.

skip.  

Tadpole

It's comforting to know there is this huge knowledge database out there that we can draw on to answer our questions.  Marine Tex it is!

Thanks guys!

Tadpole

Citroen/Dave

Skip,

Do you have any photos of your "keel boots"?  Aluminum may be easier to shape but S.S. might take more roughage.

Thanks,
Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

skip1930

Here are snaps of the 6mm KEEL BOOT.
It was cut on a band saw after a template was made and the line traced on the piece of scrap marine quality aluminum.
By raising the hull bunks the keel lifts above the rollers. Clean the bottom of the keel of crud and paint.
Mix up [in this case three] large bottles of Marine-Tex and roll it on both mating surfaces.
Slap it up there and tap in some wood wedges to push the KEEL BOOT onto the bottom of the keel.
Let her sit a couple of days. Put the boat back down on the roller.
The snaps are before a sanding and painting, which was done the following season.

I do not have any snaps of the ss leading edge witch was taped on the center line and beat into shape, extending around the first 4 inches up from the KEEL BOOT and two inches on either side by a couple of hours of hammering, trimming, gluing and painting. The dents in the ss was simple filled with Marine-Tex and faired with an orbital sander and 80 grit paper. Boat's in storage now. Can't get to it.

skip.

Tim Gardner

I love the shape of your bottom , Skip

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

wes

Hush! The children are listening.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

skip1930

Ahhh Geee, you shouldn't have...

that's water base house paint that has been waxed with Mother's car wax.
With the wax, I don't think my bottom ever 'sees' water.
Just the wax sees the water.

skip.