a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder

Started by hinmo, March 15, 2014, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

Folks, it broke 50 degrees today (albeit briefly) and I mounted the new ida rudder in the brackets and popped it on the boat. Its been a long 6 months, and of course I forgot the exact mounting order.

Question: does the rudder bracket rest directly on the boat bracket on the transom or is there a washer (metal or plastic) between them.

(Note - I should be using "gudgeon" and "pintle" terminology, but I forget which is which!)

Thanks

skip1930

I'd say 'on top' to provide enough clearance for the tiller to clear the combing.

Note the four bronze 1/2 inch shoulder bushings [shoulder to shoulder] with 3/8 inch bore that are 3/4 inch long pushed into a 1/2 inch drilled out castings. Include the flat washers and loc-nuts. Should be considered once the casting bores and the factory plastic inserts are worn out.

Even my IdaSailor rudder hangs down past my CP-19 keel by about an inch. The rudder hits sand before my keel does.  

skip.

hinmo

thanks for the pics skip. You confused me with your details, but it doesn't take much.

Why do you have the bolts upside down, guess I need to change mine.

I see the brass washers (bushings?) in between the pintle/gudgeon. I will add them.

There seems to be some slop in mine....must be missing the "casting bores".

skip1930

The "gudgeon" and "pintle" are aluminum and have been drilled by the factory for 3/8" bolts. These holes might have plastic inserts in them.
The steel bolts are harder than the aluminum and hence the drilled holes in the casting ware and go oval and a sloppy fit results over years of ware.

I put my bolts in up side down so I can simply look over the transom and see if the loc nuts are backing off.
No reason to change yours unless your as crazy as me. There are two flat washers under the bolt heads and under the nuts with copious amounts of Permatex Neverseaze. I put a little pre-tension on the bolts to add a little friction to the feel of my tiller.

To use the bushings in the aluminum castings the 3/8" holes of the casting have to be drilled to 1/2".

The 'brass washers' you see are the SHOULDERS of the bronze bushings that have been pushed into the aluminum castings. The bushings ride on top of each other and are fitted back to back, and shoulder to shoulder.

skip.

hinmo

does any one else have castings or spacers between the bolts and the rudder-gudgeon? None were present with mine, as Skip has shown.

Is there a parts fiche somewhere?

skip1930

No, the factory just lets the  "gudgeon" and "pintle" sit on top of each other and ware on each other.

I made the improvements using bushings out of necessity.

skip.

wes

Following Skip's lead (I ALWAYS follow Skip's lead), I had a machinist friend drill out my original castings and insert the bronze bushings. The result is a nice smooth rudder action with no slop, and it ought to last as long as the boat.

This is one of those upgrades that costs very little and has a big impact, if you have a lot of play in your castings.

The ideal way to do the drilling is on a bench with a very long bit so both sets of holes are drilled out simultaneously, to guarantee perfect alignment.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

hinmo

ok - got it now. Might be an upgrade in the future....gotta see if the boat floats before we do any further upgrades
Thanks

Salty19

One note...the holes on the gudgeon are  1/4" on CP16's and 5/16" on Cp19's.  At least that's my recollection.  So on a 16, you probably want to drill out to either 5/16" or 3/8". The bronze spacer outer diameter would need to match the hole.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603