a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Holding tank on a Compac 27/2

Started by Neil Holck, January 27, 2014, 09:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Holck

Has anyone added to, or replaced the holding tank, on a Compac 27/2 ?
It is the only design error I've found.  It is just too small for people that anchor-out most of the time.
We cruise the Keys for 3 months every winter and the size of the holding tank is the only aggravating
factor about the boat.

deisher6

Hey Gunslinger:  I replaced ours this past summer.  The PO had bought a new tank to replace the much corroded original, I just took out the old one and stuck the new one in.  The new tank was a factory replacement so it was about the same size. However the mounting and hose arrangement was slightly different.   I do not think that installing a larger tank would be much of a problem.  It is a pretty straightforward installation and there is plenty of room.
Good luck.

regards charlie

peterg

Probably the first thing that I did on my old 1990 CP27 was to replace the factory three gallon aluminum holding tank- the danged thing was not only too small- it corroded away to nothingness, leaving a bit of a mess for Capt. Pete to contend with. Aluminum is a poor choice to hold corrosive human waste. I ordered up a 15 gallon poly holding tank and installed it in the aft portion of the starboard side cockpit locker. I cut two wooden sleepers to the contour of the inner hull surface and used 5200 to glue them to the hull. This was topped off with marine plywood to provide a flat and level base for the tank, and two nylon straps to secure the tank to the base. The installation was completed with new 1 1/2" sanitary hose throughout and new vent hose. Take care to have no droops in the hose, as this will cause pooling and subsequent odor problems. Speaking of odor, we only used fresh water for flushing, and this eliminated the all-too-common sailboat head stink. After installing your new system is a good time to switch to fresh water flushes. Another worthwhile upgrade on the 27 is the installation of a shower sump pump, thereby eliminating grey water in the bilge- another source of foul odors. There is very little room between the shower drain and the inner hull, so a bit of ingenuity and dexterity is required to fit a catchment pan in the tight space. I sold my 27 before I got this one done!
Errabundi Saepe, Semper Certi
CP-16 Beagle 4 (sold)
CP-19 Athena (sold)
CP-19 Beagle (sold)
CP-27 Afternoon Beagle (sold)
CP-23 Beagle 3  (sold)
Ranger Tug "SisterShip" (sold)
Simmons Sea Skiff 1951 "Rebecca Ann"
Herreshoff America  (the original Horizon!)   (sold)
Arch Davis Wooden Gaff Rigged Dinghy
Windrider 16   2015 (sold)

wes

Amen on the fresh water flushing; I plan to implement that as soon as I finish the exterior work and turn my attention to plumbing. For us coastal sailors with easy access to fresh water, it makes a lot of sense. I might feel differently if I were crossing oceans.

Defender has great prices (and frequent sales) on the Raritan Marine Elegance toilets set up for pressurized fresh water.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina