a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Forward Ports for a Compac 16

Started by Citroen/Dave, January 28, 2014, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

Take a look at Sterling's recent Post, picture, and video: "Sailing My Com-Pac 16 again. . .".  An earlier owner installed two deck plugs on his CP16 to make forward facing ports (when the plugs are removed).

Has anyone else cut the cabin for forward lights?  I am considering a repeat installation that is identical to Sterling's boat that I installed in my previous boat, a Rhodes, Picnic 17.
I am most curious if the ComPac 19 and 23 ports could be installed.  These are secured from the inside to keep the weather and water out, plus they provide forward visibility, ventilation, and cabin light.  Will the ComPac opening ports adapt to the curve of the CP16 cabin?

Citroen/Dave
'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

Salty19

Tough to say for sure, but I think they will work.   You'll want to keep the ports as flush as possible in that area so your jib sheets don't catch on the lip of the port.

Might want to price them first before committing.  Last time I checked, they were several hundred each. They are made by Perko and available through the factory.

The 19 ports are 4" inner diameter with what looks like a 1/4"  (appx) thick port flange.  So the hole will be about 4 1/2" (4" port + two 1/4 flanges wide. If you have enough flat area on the surface, they might work.

A while back, someone had found and posted info on a place in the UK that made opening brass ports and the poster adapted them to the fixd ports on the CP16, giving much needed ventilation.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603