a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Jib Tracks

Started by Sterling, February 23, 2014, 12:12:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterling

I've read through a number of past postings about Genoa tracks.  Some order from Hutchins, some order from ther companies and there is a variety of setups that people use.  I don't actually have a genoa sail, but I do find that the cam cleats on my Mark I Com-Pac 16 do not always allow me to get the right sail shape.  Sometimes I run my sheets on the outside of that stays and sometimes on the inside.  A couple of days ago I just ran the sheet straight back to a cleat on the stern to get the right shape.  Whatever it takes I suppose.

My boat has a bimini top, so I have tracks already on the top edge of the cockpit which allow adjusting the bimini.  I read where someone was considering mounting the tracks on the outside edge of the cockpit, but others advised against it.  Why?  Whether or not I get a 150 genoa in the future, I would like more options for adjusting my jib.  I would appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter.  If you ordered hardware and you are happy with it, if you can share part numbers and where you ordered, would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

mattman

I would talk with the sailmaker, tell them your situation, how you sail, and what you expect from your sail.  They should be able to recommend sail requirements and where to put the track.  Best of luck.

Sterling

Thanks Mattman.  I'm not far from Hutchins, so I'll head over and talk with them about what I want to do.  Just thought someone might have been there, done that on this forum. 

mattman

Btw, Doyle recommended a 5 oz main and 4.5 oz 110. I told them I sail in 4 kts or 15 to 20kts here on a midwest lake with little wind in between. Happy sailing.

Sterling

Salty19

Why not combine the two cars on one track? 

The side mount is problematic. How are you going to route the sheets? You don't want to have to pull vertically on them. Can't do that from windward side.
I would ask Hutchins for the pre-bent tracks along with the genoa car/cam cleat they sell. Then adapt your Bimini fitting to another car that will fit the track. Hutchins might be able to supply that too. You can't find them in catalogs. Regarding the tracks, ask them "these are the long pre-bent tracks, not the 18" versions, right?". Make sure they know what you want.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Sterling

Good advice, Salty.  Thank you.