a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Dinghy for 23'

Started by rmotley, January 01, 2014, 06:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmotley

Looking to add a dinghy to our sailing adventures - leaning toward a hard fiberglass dinghy - However what do we do with the 8' hard fiberglass dinghy when sailing on a 23'?  Can't imagine this lashed to the deck anywhere.

How have you experienced sailors dealt with this?

Happy New Year!

atrometer

I have a GREAT "Sea Eagle" inflatable kayak with 12V pump, manual foot pump, AND portable rechargeable battery pump that I'll sell you VERY reasonable.  (26#s),  email if interested.  (Fort Myers, FL)

Bob23

I tow my Walker Bay 8 behind my 23. No problemo, mate.
Bob23

Eagleye

Quote from: Bob23 on January 01, 2014, 07:28:01 PM
I tow my Walker Bay 8 behind my 23. No problemo, mate.Bob23

LOL  Bob23     :) ;) :D ;D ::)

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Bob23

Ah, I should ammend my previous post about towing my dingy: It works fine when I remember to tie said dingy to said 23.
Bob23

brackish

Over the years on various boats, I've had just about all types, several hard, several inflatable.  On my 23 I have been using a Sevylor 3 person fish hunter.  Got it on sale at Wayfair for $69, spent another $20 or so on oars and pumps.

http://www.sevylor.com/Fish-Huntertrade-3-Person-Boat-P2029C40.aspx

Very tough, inflates quickly, rows fair, tows OK, has a motor mount option and I made a mount for a trolling motor, but have never used it.  When deflated it fits in the forward most hatch under the V-berth along with the oars and pump(s), puts some weight, but not much,  up there where I want it.

I've only used it on one cruise and it did fine.  I prefer, if the water is warm, to just wade in. 

My problem with hard is storage when not in use.  My marina doesn't allow them to be in the slip with the boat, and there is no dingy yard.  Bob 23 probably just keeps his in the dingy area for all the moored boats, but I can't do that.  If I had a place to put it, I think I would prefer hard.  But it would have to tow well, because I'm not going to drag it up on the foredeck when out sailing.