a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

C16 vs C16-2 rig

Started by me262, December 22, 2013, 01:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

me262

I have 2 C-16's. the older 1977 model has roller reefing as the boom twists and I assume that is what its for. It also has better sails than the 1984 C16-2. However, the C16-2 has a better hull and the bowsprit. Is there any reason why I can't just switch masts and booms from one boat to the other and put the roller reefing boom/mast on the 1984 model? Will I have to change out at least the forestay? The rig is fastened to the mast a little higher on the '77 model. Also...the '84 does'nt have a traveller of any kind on it...the '77 has a swivel traveller on the stern.....whats up with that? Thanks for your help!

carry-on

Did you mean the headstay connects higher on the '84? I think the mast and boom will transfer OK if the connections at the tabernacle the same.
Believe the '84 is a 7/8 rig and the '77 a 3/4 rig? If you use sails designed for the 16-2 you would want to raise the hound.
The 16-2 calls for a smaller main and a larger jib than the '77, so shifting the sails will work but not attain the balance envisioned by the rig change.
What about shifting the boom only and trying a mix of your sails?
Can't speak to roller reefing since my boat has a mid-boom traveler. There are several discussions of roller reefing on the site. some like it some don't.
You have a nice problem owning two 16s!
Merry Christmas
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

NateD

If you just want roller reefing on the 1984 you can swap the boom over no problem (I think, haven't actually tried it). Or you can buy a rotating goose neck (https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat1ID=40&cat1Name=Hardware&familyID=17&familyName=Goosenecks). Because the 16-2 has a bowsprit the forestay is going to be longer, so the forestays should stay with their respective boats. So if you move the mast, you'll have to remove the forestays from the masts.

me262

Only reason I'm doing this is the '77 has much better sails, but the '84 fore deck is in much better shape. Trying to make 1 really nice boat out of 2 then sell the other.....

Salty19

Swap it all or nothing. If you put the /2 sails on your /1 rig, it's going to have the wrong jib sheeting point. Ask wroundy, his boa fell behind and was dead last in he clr race due to this same issue.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

thats right i did beat someone
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"