a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard got gunk in the carb, help me troubleshoot

Started by BruceW, December 27, 2013, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

Hmm..sounds like you did get bad gas, but I thought stations had filters on their pumps (maybe some do, some don't). 
Perhaps the dirt came from your gas can?

I would completely start over again.  Drain the fuel in the carburetor and the fuel lines. Put the gas in your vehicle (after filtering).
Buy new gas, add a product called Seafoam, about 2oz to a gallon of gas, start motor and let it run for an hour (in a water bucket in your driveway is OK, just make sure it doesn't starve itself from getting cooling water at the lower end).  This will give you some confidence that the dirt in the fuel system is gone, and the sea foam will help dissolve anything left. 

Using the filter each time is not a bad idea.  Also remember if your fuel (ethanol based gas)  is more than 3-4 weeks old, don't use it in your outboard.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

atrometer

BruceW

Salty,

I'm a fan of Sea Foam; well, the gas tank was the same one I've been using with previous engine, and no issues, so I don't know.

Regardless, this dirt is actually little pieces of iron; it comes up with magnet.

I certainly plan to use my filter; might pour this gas into the car once I get back, see how it goes. I'll use my filtering funnel for that, too.

I am a fan of Sea Foam, too. I guess it might not do anything with the little iron pieces, but it'll help anything else.

Dealer has the motor running, and it is free of the iron now. I'll be using the internal tank, and just refresh from my little gas only tanks, one of which is brand new, and the other has only been used a little bit, just for fresh gas.

Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

MacGyver

Tiger,

Could it be that the spring mechanism on the fuel fittings on the line are going bad from age?
I did have some fittings go bad and send metal fragments downstream one time on a engine before. And a quick clean of the carb I was off and running again......

That reminds me of the time I ran the work truck off of a 3 gallon boat tank and drove up town with no doors and such to weld the floor panels in at my friends shop..... That was hilarious...... Actually, I had rope tied all over the side to help net me in, LOL

ANyway, maybe the fittings are old enough to be having issue.
see if the operation of the ball inside is smooth and easy. if not, then they are probably bad.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

BruceW

Interesting Mac; wish I had a picture of you and that truck, haha.

This motor is just about a year old, so hopefully, it's just the iron filings. They do seem to be flushed out now. My job is to keep them out, huh.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Bob23

Tiger:
   Doesn't your engine have it's own fuel filter?
Bob23

MacGyver

I found these while cleaning off my computer.
Enjoy
One thing that comes to mind is when I drove up town and everyone staring at me, I just waved and smiled like this was normal. When I passed my boss on his way in to work I just waved and he just shook his head as I passed driving 45 MPH into town. Where we saw each other he had plenty of time to know it was the work truck. LOL  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lastly, I am including this one for JEST, I sent this to my boss one day asking him if he felt these bolts would be ample enough for my 11.5 foot skiff project boat if I added a fixed keel. LOL

Have a good one! And keep it fun
Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

frank

Nothing to do with carb gunk....but I bet Jeff Foxworthy would LOVE that truck   ;D :o
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

skip1930

I's luv's that 4 x 4 truck! Just go to the bone yard and find another cab in better shape.
I'll bet the deck is super. Or build an abbreviated body ... like these?
The red one, owned by a dentist friend and club member came up from Denmark, WI. to Door County in a three hour ride at 45 mph with his dad.
The other one. From the south side to the north side of the county, with his mother.

"Seat belts? We don't need no stinking seat belts." Actually I think the seat belt is hold the seat on in the white doddle bug.

skip.