a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Storage

Started by atrometer, December 21, 2013, 04:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atrometer

I recently got my CP 16 (#509).  I still haven't sailed her, but already love her.  The only thing I haven't figured out yet is where does everyone store the boom when trailering?  Suggestions?  (In the Monty 15 I had it would fit in the cabin)

MKBLK

atrometer - Welcome to the wonderful world of ComPac Yachts, especially the 16's! ;D I simply secure the boom to the trailer frame with a couple of bungees. I originally thought I'd use a length of PVC pipe but found that I really didn't need it. My alternate method is to tie the boom to the mast after the mast is secured on its crutches. That way I don't have to remove the main sheet when trailering. I use method one for extended storing.

Marty K.
1981 CP-16 Pegasus
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

kickingbug1

i have mine in a pvc pipe secured to the trailer frame . it has a glued cap forward and a screw on cap at the back. if you use this method make sure you leave the cap off when launching and retrieving. if you put it back on after removing the boom it acts as a float (first hand experience talking)
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

skip1930

When I trailer the CP-19 one boom's end goes into the chain locker and the other boom's end I tie to one of the dogs [loops] holding a port closed.

skip.

atrometer

Sounds great, thank you!  What diameter and length pipe?

mikew

Another tip is to have the mainsail already secured to the boom, the battens in their pockets and the sail folded down and tied to
the boom. I store it in the garage like this and when its time to trailer the whole boom/ mainsail is set in your trailering vehicle. This saves alot of time at the ramp as the main is almost ready to hoist, just set the boom in the mast slot, attach sheet pulley and topping lift.
Mike

jb

atrometer.... I'm curious? Why did you give up your Monty 15 and go to the CP 16??  I always thought the Montgomery line of boats were exceptional?

j

atrometer

I liked the Monty 15 VERY MUCH!  Sailed great.  The 16 doesn't have the centerboard (less maintenance), more room, and heavier keel - AND many more to choose from.  Since I don't care to tack back and forth (I feel that's why I have a motor), I didn't mind not pointing as well as the Monty.  Either is a GREAT boat!

kickingbug1

six inch a little longer than the boom,
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jb

atrometer,

Small Craft Advisor magazine has a pending article that may be a interesting read?

The following was sent by them  to various boat owners.

"We're taking an unusual tack with our next feature-length boat review—we're going to do a comparison of the Potter 15, Montgomery 15, and Com-Pac 16. We're not looking to bash any of these boats, we just want help potential used-boat buyers understand the relative pros and cons."

j

Gerry

I always store my boom by tying it to the mast.  Never had any problems and it is handy.  I keep my mainsheet attached as well.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Salty19

Same here, Gerry. On my 16 I would remove the mainsail, remove gooseneck and just bungie the boom up to the mast. Never had a problem and made it a lot quicker to rig.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

atrometer

MHardy

My boom does not come off the mast for trailering. I think it is Com-Pac's boom tender system. Contact Keith Scott at The Sailboat Company for details (link below).

http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina