a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom Vang

Started by rogerschwake, August 28, 2013, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Is there anyone out there that uses a boom vang on there Sun Cat. I'm making some rig improvements and thinking about a boom vang. If you use one is it 3 to 1 or 4to1? Does it work with the gooseneck that slides up and down in the sail track?

Thanks ROGER

cavie

I use a 2/1 fixed about 6" above the deck on the mast stub.

capt_nemo

Although I've made significant changes to my Sun Cat rig I have not employed a boom vang. Some other Owners have installed them.

A boom vang has no connection whatsoever to the sliding gooseneck on our Sun Cats.

Once the mainsail is raised (and downhauled), the gooseneck fixes the boom in position against the mast.

One end of a boom vang tackle is attached to the underside of the boom some distance aft of the gooseneck with the other end attached to the base of the mast. Pulling on the vang tackle pulls the boom DOWN to achieve a more efficient sail shape especially on a broad reach or a run. The now STANDARD end boom sheeting  allows the boom to lift in some winds creating some undesirable sail twist aloft. Some sail twist aloft in heavy winds is good since it spills some wind until reefing is necessary.

If your Sun Cat has mid-boom sheeting you already have some vang advantage.

If you do install a boom vang, just be sure it is UNLOCKED and loose enough so that it will not interfere with raising the mainsail.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

Eagleye

Quote from: rogerschwake on August 28, 2013, 12:59:16 PM
  Does it work with the gooseneck that slides up and down in the sail track?

Roger,
The Eclipse has a similar gooseneck that slides up and down in the sail track and the boom vang works well with that setup. 

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

rogerschwake

Thanks every one for your thoughts on a boom vang. This late in the year it will turn into a winter project. Sorry for mentioning that bad W word.

ROGER

Westcoast DAD

Looking at lots of videos recently the Sun Cat Nationals etc - it looks like a Boom Kicker would be a nicer addition vs a boomvang however adding both would probably be ideal.

A boom kicker is a very simple device thing two fiberglass rods which support the weight of the boom this does two things. #1 in light air it holds the boom up reducing the weight of the boom pulling on the sail closing off the trailing edge allowing you to get far better sail shape in light air where it really counts. #2 it holds the boom and sail up when the sail is dropped.

The Gaff on the cat boat can have similar effect as a boomvang - ease the gaff and the sail trim effect is similar to easing the boomvang - hoisting the gaff up hard is much like pulling the boomvang on hard. The boomvang on the cat boat rig would serve as a keeper on the boom restricting it from bouncing but adjusting the vang would probably need to be done in conjunction with the gaff tension not a bad thing just that the two would go hand in hand and knowing this would play into how you use the vang and adjust the gaff together etc.

A boom kicker seems to me would be the biggest improvement for light air given it enables you to get good shape on the sail without the weight of the boom having the negative impact on pulling the sail tight where you want it loose etc.

Tom Ray

I agree that a Boomkicker is the best solution for a Sun Cat. One of these days, I'd like to put one on ours, but life keeps interfering!