a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

storage

Started by jb, October 30, 2013, 08:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

keep my boat on a mooring for the season and usually store all the necessary gear, permanently on board. The waters on Nantucket Sound has a lot of chop during sailing season, so bouncing around and shaking gear loose can be an issue. Certain gear has to be readily accessible, while other stuff not so much.

I'm wondering how others secure gear or create storage area and still allow yourself enough room for one and maybe two people to go below?   The chain locker space is not available, the flat area aft of the locker appears to be usable but you still need a way to secure things within that location.

I'm strictly a day sailor !

thanks

j

NateD

I used plastic tubs and stretchy netting to keep things relatively organized and in the flat area aft of the chain locker. The picture below is loaded up with gear for 5 days for 2 people.

Here it is all cleaned out:

kickingbug1

dont look now but someone stole your compression post
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

NateD

Quote from: kickingbug1 on October 30, 2013, 02:04:39 PM
dont look now but someone stole your compression post

Yeah, compression post burglars are rampant around here, but it's been discussed a couple times before, like here: http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5083.msg35607#msg35607

carry-on

jb,
Don't know what you need to stow. My 16 does not have any storage in the cockpit, so everything but the gas can goes below. I do have some storage space in the chain locker. Currently have the anchorline in a 5 Gal bucket and the battery between the bulkhead and the bucket. Still have room for small containers beside the battery case, but that is not a good place if you single hand and need something PDQ. I could and may go to a 3 gallon canvas bucket for the anchor line.
I give up some of the starboard berth to storage. The largest items are a whisker pole, paddle and boat hook. I have only two sails: the main is stowed on the boom; usually take the jib home so I can give it a descent fold.
For small stuff, you might try plastic boxes in various sizes.. the kind with closers on all four sides. They are not water tight but if significant water is in the cabin, keeping stowed items dry is not my first concern. Anyway, I use a box for all the papers and signal flares etc. required by the CG; another for the First Aid kit another fro a spare spark plug, plug wrenchand a few tools and fittings, another with some water and an MRE or other edibles in case the day sail is extended. I secure a shock cord to each box and let the boxes drift down the starboard "coffin" bunk. One end of the line is secured to the box and the other is secured to a hook in the cabin. So all this gear is someplace down the stbd. coffin, but if I need it, I can pull strings. Could label the strings, but have not done that.
If you have cushions on the bunks, you won't even hear any banging while sailing.
The necessary PFD's and throwable are in the cockpit while underway.
Everey few months, I try to take everything out and reduce the load...amazing what creeps in and just takes up space/ sails with you sans value.
You have a beautiful sailing area. Hope you enjoy your sweet 16. 
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

jb

thanks NateD & carry-on for your input.

I have found that some rectangular laundry baskets will fit under the cockpit seating area and am able to store one on both sides and still be readily accessible with a quick tug.

I prefer to keep the anchor, rode and misc lines in one basket and easily accessible due to the challenging conditions (wind, current & other boats) when mooring the boat. If my motor is going fail, it will happen at that time and a quick anchor over the side to stabilize things is necessary.

the flat area aft of the locker appears to be the most usable and most accessible place left. The problem there is it still has to be arranged so the chain locker area is reachable. The teak panel separating the two areas is U shaped so entry into the chain locker is in the middle behind the compression post....an awkward reach for my body!  Maybe I should replace the teak U shaped divider with a straight low rectangular board like earlier models?

j

mattman

My solution so far, tub in forward space with 8lb danforth and 100ft rode(tub stays in place just grab anchor and rode- this is secondary anchor), garbage bags and wag bags,  one throwable on top, bug netting and cockpit shade tarp to port, extra lines on starboard. Coming back I keep a cooler tied in place with two holes drilled through the bulkhead from PO (can open lid while in place and anchor can come out over top.) Cooler holds galley gear, 3 gals water and small food items. To port is a duffel with my personal gear that moves from boat to boat-foulies-gloves-hat-sunglasses-medications-tiger rag-shampoo-towel-rigging knife-sunscreen-fleece pants and top, flipflops(generally I am a warm weather sailor). Under this duffel is small flat waterproof bag with charts and navigation instruments.  Starboard is a duffel with food. Port side berth is where I sleep with sleeping bag(cat's meow poly so it dries quick) and thermorest pad (sails rolled for travel stay there), starboard side is laundry tub with 2pfd's and extra food, boat hook, paddle, and bilge pump.I have a line along the side that unhooks and holds toilet paper and a paper towel roll. Under companion way is a five gallon bucket with a 3 gallon bucket inside. 3 gallon holds dry bags with safety gear (flairs-whistles-led lights-registration papers-etc), at hand sailing stuff - cassette tape for tell tales, another rigging knife, puck compas etc. the five gallon is for the wag bags. In the cockpit is a 2 gallon gas can I try to keep covered. The aft lazarette holds two fenders, dock lines, primary Bruce anchor and rode, and pee bottle. Other stuff creeps in but I try to take off the things I don't use often or are not essential, usually extra line-I just can't seem to have enough line you can just do so much with it... everything stays in place well until I start to get into things anyway...Sorry no pics but I hope this helps. Btw I have an 85 model with the bulkhead that is about 8 inches high. 
Happy Sailing.

jb

mattman, thanks for the detailed list. You obviously have given this some thought ....I'll  have to draw a rough picture of your layout and see what parts I can implement in my boat.

not having the aft lazarette makes it necessary to store those item in the cabin...amounting to an extra tub. In the past, on other boats, I also have carried an extra anchor which has been absent in the CP 16, but will be added  next season....another tub? Thanks for that ( xtra anchor) reminder

j

mattman

jb, glad to help, I have done a bit of backpacking and try to keep it minimal on the boat too, but there seems to be more safety issues and regulations with sailing the boat that just takes up room. When I am off trail for a few of days, I travel lite with backups only for reading glasses,  fire, compass and map, but that is another discussion for another forum.
Happy Sailing.

capt_nemo

All the suggestions regarding plastic boxes and buckets are both effective and inexpensive. I am a firm believer in them as well.

However, if you are looking for meaningful projects to enhance your storage capabilities here are a few photos of what I did on my Sun Cat to address the large and small item SECURE STORAGE issues.

Before I go any further, I want to emphasize that what you see was all designed, fabricated, and installed to fit WITHOUT DRILLING A SINGLE HOLE IN THE BOAT OR ALTERING THE BOAT'S STRUCTURE IN ANY PERMANENT WAY. All can be removed and the boat returned to "Factory" condition. And, they fit tightly in place.

First was a combination Step 2-Drawer Storage Unit that fits nicely under the bridgedeck where a porta potty was designed to go. The step surface lifts off to reveal lots of secure storage space underneath way back to the aft bulkhead.

Second was a Starboard Storage Unit which still allowed use of the starboard bunk.

Third, is the Current Starboard Storage Unit that eliminates the starboard bunk since I sail and overnite solo.

Just some food for thought.

capt_nemo

jb

capt_nemo... My first reaction is WOW !!  You got talent and creativity that exceeds my ability. However, parts of your creation may be doable....regarding your Starboard Storage Unit that allows use of the bunk, how is the unit "locked in place" ....is it just the tight fit?

j

capt_nemo

jb,

It is a VERY tight fit with rearward panels fitting under the fiberglass liner just like the Step / 2 Drawer Storage Unit, and outboard panels fitting under fiberglass liner under opening port.

In addition, there was a cleat already there on the bunk under the liner overhang that kept the foot of the cushion in place. So, I used it to hold the unit in snug (fore & aft) by forcing a strong wood crosspiece down behind it with the two ends locked in front of small cleats attached to the side panels already forced in place.

Tight fit took care of restricting movement in both the vertical plane and athwartships while the cleat restricted movement in the fore and aft plane.

When considering design options, get aboard the boat with measuring tape, pad and pencil in hand, sit back, relax, and study the area under consideration. Look carefully at WHAT IS ALREADY THERE in terms of structure or builder added items that can be used for securing your Unit in place. The availability of such potential items/areas will often influence the final design.

If you are not averse to drilling holes in your boat the process is considerably easier. JUST BE CAREFUL WHERE AND HOW DEEP YOU DRILL!

capt_nemo

Bob23

Wow is right! And how many of us have matching sterling silver flatware aboard our boats? Not many, I'll wager!
Bob23

Jason

On the point of storage, we were very careful on our 4 day trip on the CP16 last summer bring along some medicinal casks, and to take precautions against scurvy, so we were sure to store enough limes and oranges as shown in the photo below.  Very important.

Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

jb

Jason,

I like your style! But is it shot glasses and medicine first and use of the bible next to cure the hangover??

Nice additions.