a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cabin Top Handrails

Started by dontpanic, November 06, 2013, 07:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontpanic

This may be a dumb question, but I have no experience with them, so I thought I would ask someone who does.

I have seen a number of photos of CP16's with handrails on top of the cabin. Admittedly, they really look cool, which is probably enough reason to add them.

Can people who have them tell me if they are actually useful has handrails.  The cabin on the CP16 is pretty low, so I am not sure the rails are really very easy to reach. 

Any advice out there?

Thanks very much

Don't Panic

kickingbug1

i cant say that i use them much. i have a loop attached to the port side that i use to hold a docking line. when i go forward i usually grab the mast just below the sail. but i have to say i have seen 16s with and without---with is better
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Jason

Hi

Don't use them much, but when I do I am glad they are there.  Aside from there use as a grab point, the handrail holes are useful for shoving shoes, towels, or t shirts in to dry out without worrying about them sliding or blowing away. Overall I do prefer to have the cabin top handrails.

Jason
1981 Compac 16 "Lillyanna"
Currently building SCAMP #349 "Argo"
Build log at www.argobuilder.com

skip1930

Hang a line from a fender from those hand rails?
When you've lost your balance anything is good to grab on to.

I think you can park any CP boat on one fender if it's fat in diameter and the dock lines keep the boat from squirming on the dock too much.

skip.

dontpanic

I hadn't thought of hanging fenders from them.  Good idea.  Gives me just enough justification to go ahead and buy a set.

Thanks

MKBLK

dontpanic - I put a pair on my CP16 and am very happy with them. As a septuagenarian I can't have too many handholds! But, even if I were 20 something, I'd still have them. One caveat: As you know, there ain't much headroom in a CP16's cabin. Be sure to use acorn nuts and minimum bolt protrusion into the cabin roof. I never go into the cabin without a hat on!  ::)
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

dontpanic

MKBLK: Good point about the protruding screws!