a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Wheel Steering Sea Trial

Started by capt_nemo, October 26, 2013, 08:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt_nemo

In a previous post I described a tiller to wheel conversion on a Sun Cat which looks like this.

Today was the first chance I had to check out the wheel steering I made and installed. (Took 2+ weeks to heal up stitches and bruises after bad fall from ladder while working on boat.)

Winds were very light on a bright sunny low humidity day on Charlotte Harbor with tide falling. Spent most of the time on the water long tacking into the wind and tidal current. Had full Main with Drifter assisting. The wheel steering performed quite well - responding to fingertip control. At times the boat seemed able to steer herself without locking in place. Anxious to see and feel how it does in moderate to heavy winds.

Did notice one thing though. SEVERAL TIMES I found myself pulling or pushing the wheel in the WRONG direction. The tiller instinct in me is still quite strong. In time I'll get used to it, like I did on my larger wheel equipped sailboats.

Craig

Welcome to the club Don!  ;D  Had the same problem when we got the Horizon Cat. Wheel does self steer better. ;D Nice job!  Looks great!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL