a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Boom kicker

Started by shazam, October 20, 2013, 09:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shazam

I am a new owner of a '79 Com-Pac 16.....looking for 'projects' to do on her.
Has anyone tried a Boom-Kicker in-lieu-of the traditional topping lift?
Emmett
s/v Evening Calm

nies

Tried a Boom-Kicker on my 78'CP 16,and could not get  enough of a acute angle for it to work properly becuse of the height of boom to mast with main sail raised and then lowering it would not keep boom supported, went back to topping lift(simple is best).........................nies

Craig

I have had Boomkickers on both my Suncat and my Horizon Cat and love them. When properly sized and adjusted they work great!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Onehandsailor

I just made this one from my scrap metal pile, it's spring loaded and it telescopes, works like a charm.
the pulleys are over kill, but I will have smaller ones very soon.

NateD

I had a topping lift on my CP16, and my 23 came with a boomkicker. The boomkicker is more convenient while sailing, but it adds slightly more work when setting up the mast compared to just the topping lift. If you've got some money burning a hole, go for it, but it isn't a huge improvement in convenience over a traditional topping lift.

Craig

One less line to pull/snag. Set it and forget it. Nothing to adjust when setting and dousing. Not having the boom conk the First Mate: Priceless!  ;D ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL