a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Here

Started by guync5, October 08, 2013, 04:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guync5

I am new to this site and look forward to sharing information and ideals with everyone. I am going to need a lot of help. I am 58 and haven't sailed in over 15 years. When I was about 14 I started on my neighbor's 12 foot wooden sailboat. Later he got a 14 foot Hobby Cat. I knew right away wet sailing was not going to be for me. I was going to be more of a cursing type sailor. For me there was nothing nicer looking then a wooden boat with portholes.
Around the same time I was able to join the Sea Scouts which were part of the Boy Scouts. I think they later changed the name to sea explorers. I don't know if they are still around today. We wore U.S. Navy blue jumpers for dress and on our working parties we wear the Navy blue denim shirt and Navy blue dungarees. Our Sea Scout leader had a 23 foot sailboat and he would take us out as offend as he could. This was the first time I got to experience a jib. That's when I decided someday I would have a 23 foot sailboat like his.
As I finished high school Vietnam was still going on and off I went into the military. A few years later I got stationed in California and was able to buy a used 14 foot Laser. Wet sailing but it was all I could afford. My wife and kids didn't like sailing so we ended up doing the motorboat thing. I still sailed the Laser and came across a used fix-it-upper San Juan 23 It needed more work and money then I had and I sold it.
Two weeks ago I bought a 1989 Com-Pac 16/2. I love these Com-Pac sailboats. They look like a sailboat should, portholes and all. This will be my first jib boat. Before getting it home I came across the sailboat I was going to work up to. I just couldn't pass up the deal. 1986 Com-Pac 23/2. So I am going to need a lot of help from everyone on how to rig everything. I went from no sailboat to two.

Tadpole

Guync5,

Greetings...I wasn't sure from your post if you still have the 16/2 or you got rid of it when you bought the C-23.  If you still have the 16/2 and are interesting in selling it, I'm actively looking for one as we speak.  Please advise.

Tadpole

jthatcher

welcome aboard!   you sound a lot like Bob23... more boats than he knows what to do with.. or perhaps that is more a time issue!     We just finished our third season with a 23.. love the boat..  trying to figure out how to spend more time on it!    you mentioned being on the west coast.. is that your current location?    you will find lots of help here.. just ask.  jt  ( northeast PA)

guync5

Quote from: Tadpole on October 08, 2013, 05:25:54 PM
Guync5,

Greetings...I wasn't sure from your post if you still have the 16/2 or you got rid of it when you bought the C-23.  If you still have the 16/2 and are interesting in selling it, I'm actively looking for one as we speak.  Please advise.

Tadpole

I do still have the 16/2, don.t know about selling her I have gotten attached to both of them. Hopfully I won't fine a c-27 who needs a home anytime soon.

guync5

Quote from: jthatcher on October 08, 2013, 05:49:34 PM
welcome aboard!   you sound a lot like Bob23... more boats than he knows what to do with.. or perhaps that is more a time issue!     We just finished our third season with a 23.. love the boat..  trying to figure out how to spend more time on it!    you mentioned being on the west coast.. is that your current location?    you will find lots of help here.. just ask.  jt  ( northeast PA)

Since 1986 I have been in Jacksonville, NC

MKBLK

Guync5 - Hey, you now have the best of both worlds, a CP16 and a CP23. Bob23 is going to be real jealous. Just think... you can have your nice roomy CP23 in a slip or at a mooring and just get in and go along with friends and family. And/or you can simply hook up your CP16 and take off to most any body of water anywhere with a friend or two. Enjoy both your ComPacs!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Bob23

Guy:
  Contrary to what youv'e read, I am not jealous, I am not jealous, I am not jealous!
  Why stop at 2? You should add a 19 (Mac's is for sale) get a 27 but don't stop there- you must be able to find a 25 and a 35, too!
  Marty thinks I may be jealous because I've been looking to get a neglected 16 although I'm a contented 23 guy. I just wanted something easy to launch so I could explore some new waters.
I've sinced changed my mind...love my 23 to much. New waters will be explored by Guideboat.
Bob23

brackish

Guync5 you are in real trouble. :(  You have revealed that you have acquired not one, but two Compacs, and then have joined the forum.  Bob23 has in the past levied an expensive extortion, er ah  initiation fee on new members, often with the subtle message that a visit from Vinny and Rocco, several of his New Jersey enforcers, er ah counselors might be pending if funds are not remitted expeditiously. :o  In your case with two boats, I think the fee may be doubled.  :'(

Tim Gardner

Brack,            Brack, Brack,
           Brack,                      Brack...

Starting trouble again, I see? Stirring up the floatsam? Breathing bilge-air in the cabin again?

The name are Rocco  & Vito - get your facts straight, man!

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Let me be the first to dispell the aledged aforementioned rumors.
   Yes, Guy, I am the self-appointed Minister of Finance here at the site. Extortion? Oh, my...such an uncouth word. There is a $5000.00 users fee for joining here but in your case, I wouldn't dream of doubling it! What kind of monster do you guys think I am?
   Vinny and Rocco? Vito? Well, they all work for me as well as Guido, Danny, Joey, Johnny and O'Malley. (O'Malley married into "the family" via my cousin Florence. We keep him around because he has ties to the Guiness family.)
   Looking back through the records it seems that Bracks last check has bounced. Brack, Brack, Brack...do you want to make me angry? I don't like to be angry. So Rocco and Vito are on thier way to your place to have a little talk. Yeah, just a little talk.
   Some former members have complained that they thought $5k was too high a fee. I repeat that they are former members. We haven't heard anything from them in quite some time. Five thousand is not too expensive. Think of it as a sort of insurance...or protection!
Roberto23

brackish

Bob, Bob, Bob, big mistake, you shouldn't send that crew south of the Mason Dixon line into the deep south.  They will have to deal with my crew when they get here.  Here is what they do for fun: ;D

Bob23

Uh...ok...wel, maybe we can work something out. Seems your check just went through!!!!
Bob23

guync5

Sounds great! I will be waiting with the rest of the Gambinos.