a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bow eye

Started by hinmo, September 30, 2013, 08:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hinmo

I removed my bow-eye (1982 CP16) to R&R the backing. I think I stripped the threads knocking it out from the interior.
I took it into work to give to my friend who's wife works at a marine hardware store to see if she could supply...and threw it out with my lunch waste.

anyone know the size?

(I emailed Hutchins to see if they offer)

Thanks

carry-on

The Hutchins parts list shows the CP-16 Bow Eye as 3/8x3. Part #RA00B0310. The price in 2011 parts was $5.60.
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

hinmo

hinmo

Is there a power rotary tool/saw/grinder I can get into small spaces. I am trying to remove  the rotted wood that backs the boweye bolts? I don't see what i am thinking of when I Google Dremel

skip1930

Bow eye? Is that the same of a brown eye? Just measure the centerlines of the two holes for the studs.
The factory used 3-M 5200 to bed them and they are a bear to get out. I used a Milwaukee 'Saws-All' and cut Steve's bow eye off from the outside when I hung his new bow sprit and used a drift pin to pound out the cut off studs. Pick up a new one at West Marine.

Rotted wood? Chop out the bad and splice in a good piece with copious amounts of Marine-Tex goop.

skip.

wes

Hinmo - since your question was about power tools, I've had success doing the job with an oscillating multi-function tool. The original is the Fein Multi Master, but since their patent expired the idea has been knocked off by lots of power tool companies. My Home Depot has three or four models from companies like Dremel and Porter Cable, several less than $100. Or borrow one. Here's a link comparing various ones:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/interior/the-best-oscillating-tools-we-put-9-to-the-test#slide-1

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina