Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cat sail thoughts?

Started by Westcoast DAD, November 21, 2013, 02:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Ray

Westcoast Dad,

You may be surprised by the speed of a Sun Cat when conditions are right. At the Sun Cat Nationals, I was having fun reaching along the start/finish line prior to the first race. We had lots of wind. We were sustaining 5.5 knots on the GPS, with higher bursts up to almost 6 knots.

We were going about 5 knots in this picture. Not bad for a pokey little catboat! ;)

Craig

Great pic Tom! Definitely got a "Bone in her teeth".  ;D
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Westcoast DAD

LOL - hey our current boat hasn't broken the 5 knot barrier for a couple of years so trust me when I say I have no illusions about the CAT boat regarding speed - I'm by no means looking for a sport boat and anything that does 5 knots or more under sail or power is doing better than my current ride. 12hp Universal can only push 8000lbs of 28X12 so fast LOL -- that would be zero wind no chop hammer down 3000rpm with three blade fixed prop at 5 or maybe 5.5knots. The HC owners I chatted with can hit 6-7knots under power which would only be possible if we dropped our current boat from a hoist. ;-) Ok except that one time we put 5 racers on it and flew the cruising Asymmetric in 30 knots of breeze on a reach but that doesn't count.