a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sailing at Carlyle this weekend

Started by wroundey, October 04, 2013, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wroundey

I was thinking about heading over there this weekend (probably Sunday) with my CP16. I have heard that the public ramp near West Access Marina is closed. Any suggestions from users as to another good launch ramp for me?

mattman

My understanding is that the ramps at Hazlet should be open as it is a state park and not just a Corps area, or try at CSA, but CSA will charge for the ramp use I think. Best of luck.

MacGyver

Go to Hazlet
As you enter, go left on that fork. Follow it to the ramp.
At one point, The C of E was going to shut down the road to Hazlet (Federal entrance......) but I guess that made quite a stir so they didnt do it.
During the last shut down I dont remember them closing the ramps..... but I know they are trying to make a big impact statement this time with everything going on. I have seen where they are closing a lot more and even saw someone get booted off the playground that is owned by the feds.....

Sad deal.....
After Carl used the ramp to pull (he paid to launch, and they closed it so he had to pull, he paid for it!) and after that they now have more barricades up.......

Anyway, Hazlet buddy, state run, and still open, and best of all, FREE.

Mac

PS, We might be out Sunday, we will try to sail up the lake the 4 miles and try to catch up with you.
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

wroundey

Jason, how about launching at one of the ramps in the park at the east end of the dam? Or are those also corp ramps?

kickingbug1

those are also closed, use hazlett----good docks and sailing out of the cove is pretty easy. better have a sweatshirt.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

mattman

Drove by Hazlet last night on the way for dinner and the ramps were open. Stopped by West Access, Mac is your 19 right there by the travel lift? I am hoping to get out Sunday as well. May see you all. Have a new foiled rudder to play with!!

kickingbug1

oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

MacGyver

Yes, that is mine :)

I really hope to get out tomorrow. plan to anyway :)

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
-Alaine Gerbault.

wroundey

NWS is forecasting 63 degrees with west winds at 5-15 with gusts to 25.sounds like a great day for sailing

wroundey

I got a later start today than I planned, and one daughter bailed on me, so my 15yo and I arrived at the Hazlet ramp about between 1:30 and 2 ( I forgot to check my watch). We rigged and I decided to go with just the main today. Winds were blowing 15-20 with stronger gusts. I have not figured out the roller reeling on the main, so I did not want to set a jib and full main. We sailed out of the cove and had a great roller coaster ride as we headed south towards the dam. Waves were about 12-18 inches and the wind was blowing whitecaps. My daughter caught a bit of spray as we plowed through the waves. After about an hour of this, I figured we had had enough (plus daughter was asking about a bathroom) so we tacked and sailed a beam reach back towards the cove. We were surfing the waves and having a good time. As entered the cove, the wind shifted a bit so we had to tack in the cove to get back to the ramp - I only have a small trolling motor so motoring was out of the question. It took 4-5 tacks to make the dock. A good day over all, but rather lonely on the lake with just one other CP 16.

MacGyver

We ended up not going because of how it was at our house, which we werent interested in seeing what it was like on the lake, LOL

My wifes last day off was today in her rotation so she wanted to do the laundry and make some soups, so I just worked in the house finishing up the living room and putting up some art on the newly painted walls. all in all it was a good day.

I tried to get her to go at one point promising a reefed main, but that was at a time when the wind was at its worst, so it was a no go.

Mac

-Alaine Gerbault.

mattman

Nice to meet you wroundey and thanks for catching a line for me. Pretty bumpy wet ride on Carlyle Sunday, blowing steady 15 with gusts in the low to mid 20's. Sailed out of Hazlet about 10:30 with reefed main and 110% punched up wind for about 3 hours. Half way up after a couple of bad puffs, decided to drop the main and proceeded under the headsail. Cracked the sheets a little south of CSA and meandered back downwind with a sandwich. Could see wroundey's main scooting across the lake, moving right along. There were a couple of 420's out beam reaching for an hour or so, 1-J boat with tape-drives, a Hunter 30 with main only, a Catalina 250 reefed main and partially furled headsail,  and a newer Macgregor blue hull motor-sailor. Said "Hi"to the 420 guys and amazingly they were dryer than me. Overall pretty good day on the water but cool when the sun dropped and the clouds came in. Hope to see you all on the lake sometime. Happy sailing! 

kickingbug1

i didnt have time to sail but i did drive the 52 up to the csa and watched you and the other three boats on the east side. it looked like a pretty wet ride tacking into those waves. no worries with a cp 16 though. maybe you, wroundy,rich, john and i can get together this fall for a big cp 16 "race". take care guys