a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Installing ABS storage box in cockpit

Started by Cevin c Taylor, August 29, 2013, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salty19

An idea is to build a small wood box that would sit on the forward cockpit floor and be flush with the seats.  Put a lid on it...you can use it as a step and storage box. 

I would definitely not cut such a huge hole in the boat for something as minor as small item storage.  Anything I am tempted to drill a hole I think:  "Is there another way to do this".  Nine times out of ten, there is.

Another idea is the Seateak brand sells organizers that you can put on the cockpit seat.  I have one that I use in the cabin--has cupholders and I think 6 storage areas (enough for cell phone, keys, sunscreen, GPS, drinks, bug spray and hand sanitizer with room to spare).  You could put some anti-skid stuff on the bottom and use it in the cockpit.  Cheaper, portable and no leaks or holes.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

Coincidentally, I'm just finishing up a fairly good sized wooden steering wheel "box" to convert from tiller to wheel steering on my Sun Cat.  (Don't ask me why - it's reversible anyway.) Fitted on the aft cockpit seat, it utilizes the "dead space" in front of the tiller and incorporates A LARGE STORAGE COMPARTMENT WITH ACCESS FROM BOTH SIDES AND A 16" FIDDLED SHELF ON EACH SIDE FOR SECURING DRINKS AND OTHER SMALL STUFF WHILE UNDERWAY.

I hear 'ya Salty! Like all my other Mods - absolutely NO holes drilled in the boat and NO permanent structural mods to the boat. (I don't make designing this stuff EASY on myself.)

capt_nemo

Salty19

Oh boy,  can't wait to see your pictures, Captn!!

Like your other mods, I'm sure it will be an engineering marvel mixed with usefulness and first class craftsmanship.
And no holes!

Frisky is indeed one lucky sailboat!   :)

Check out this link for the sea teak stuff at Defender:  http://search.defender.com/?expression=seateak

A few storage options, about 1/2 down on the first page with the wine bottle is what I was talking about. It's not too big and not too small.

You don't have the spend the big bucks on a fancy teak one, but they give you some ideas on DIY.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

Billy

I have the bar and drink holder and I love it! It fits perfectly under the tiller. I did put some felt on the bottom to keep it from sliding though.
1983 Com-Pac 19 I hull number 35 -no name-

capt_nemo

Billy,

Necessity is the mother of invention!

capt_nemo

Spartan

Capt_Nemo - I "slapped" one together this weekend, posted in the DIY section, not nearly as nice as yours (yet) but love it!!!

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=6837.0
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

capt_nemo

Spartan,

Checked it out - Well done!

Isn't it truly amazing how some relatively simple and inexpensive additions to our boats can make such a dramatic difference in our use and enjoyment of them.

I truly love messing about in boats!

capt_nemo