a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Can't sail on close reach.

Started by Frederick, August 29, 2013, 06:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

As Nate suggested, is there an experienced sailor who could go out with you to check on your set-up? As to the rudder, while the boat is on the trailer put the rudder down and see how it looks when fully down. there should be a hole on the rudder that lines up with holes in the rudder stock when the rudder is fully down some boats come with a pin that inserts into the holes. That can be replaced with a golf tee which will shear of in the event of a grounding. Make sure the friction nut that locks the rudder down is tightened down well also. In the immortal words of Capt. David Lawrence "Don't give up the ship!".
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

JBC

Frederick, you're getting a lot of good advice here, so don't want to pile too much more info on.  However, I would point out that we don't know if your boat is a MKII (with bowsprit) or not, or whether your jib is the standard one or a larger one, say, on a furler.  The standard jib on a MKII with a bowsprit is about 20% more in sq. footage than the original jib (with a corresponding reduction in the size of the mainsail).  That puts the center of sail effort forward, so in very light air, a lee helm is more likely to be noticeable.  An even larger size head sail increases this tendency.  There is naturally (because of the boat's shoal keel design) a bit more leeward slippage anyway on a 16 than many other displacement hulls with different keel configurations.  My 16 MKIII with bowsprit and a standard jib on a furler sails wonderfully from a close reach through a run.  But it doesn't like to pinch upwind close hauled in light air, and still doesn't point as high as many other models overall.

Second, raking the mast aft on a 16 is not easy (there is no back stay).  In principle, moving the sails' center of effort aft will reduce lee helm, but there is not much room for stay adjustments on a 16, which was designed in the first place to allow the mast to be trimmed forward a bit from vertical, not aft.  The trade off on the MKII and later models with the sprit is improved upwind performance.

I recently also owned a 24' boat with a swing keel.  It was fast, sailed very well upwind and tacked beautifully in even the slightest puff.  But beyond about 15 knots the weather helm got so strong, I was throwing the tiller far over to little effect to counter act the force.  My 16 comes absolutely alive at about 12 knots, and sails very smoothly and feels balanced, even in strong gusts.  There are trade offs.

Jett

Bob23

Fred:
   I haven't read all of the above but you don't by chance have a rare CP 16 centerboard boat, do you?
Bob23

Frederick

Bob

No centerboard, just the 1987 or 1988 Com-Pac 16 with a 16" keel.  I am having someone sail with me today.  He's not an expert but I am curious to see if he has the same problem.  If not, then I know it is my technique.  If he does have the same problems, then we may adjust the mast.  If  we can not solve the problem with the great posts that I have received at the Com-pac Batch Owners Assoc then I will look for an expert. 
However, since the previous owner never had a similar problem in 16 years, I got to believe it is my technique.  The only difference is that she sailed on a Squapam Lake in NH and I sail on Casco Bay - salt water with tides. 

FRED

nies

I will be interested in the result of your sail as I cannot figure out whats wrong unless a wrong piece of equipment has been installed(rudder,sails,etc) I have sailed my 1978 all these years without the problem you describe.................maybe the mast is rigged to far astern is the only other thing I can think of............do not give up on her , 16's are great boats......nies

Bob23

Nies is right...don't give up!
   I think it's a combination of blown out sails and pushing the tiller too hard when you come about. Before I got my new sails, I'd have to backwind the jib everytime to tack through. After I built a foiled rudder I noticed a considerable increase in performance and easier tacking. After new sails, she was a boat reborn! If they are original sails, it may be time for new ones.
   You mention tides...that could be adding to the problem. In light air and tacking into an opposing tide, my 23 really experiences some side slip, big time. If you are sailing into an oncoming current when you are  close hauled, you may be unconsciensly pinching the boat.
   Are the sails the correct ones for the boat?

Bob23   

mattman

Just picked up a 16 to play with this spring and had new sails built. The boat showed lee helm with the loose footed main in really light air very much as described, more outhaul corrected this, when I say light I mean under 2kts and mostly drifting. With the lee helm dialed out and in 6-8 kts, helm is good with just a finger touch of weather. Being used to a shelf with a generally fixed initial draft, I unintentionally put  too much draft in the main and moved the effort too far forward. Just something to think about. Btw, 6 kts breeze close hauled produced 3.3 miles per hour on the gps with a bump lake from powerboats, cracked off about 5 degrees and picked up to 4.2 on the gps. I haven't done the vector analysis yet for vmg to the mark. Are you guys figuring about 8 degrees to leeward or a little more? Best of luck.

philb Junkie19

Fred,  Yes, a lee helm in a breeze is scary and dangerous but as others have said it is a solvable problem. Make some of the suggested changes and go out when the wind is not strong and when or where tidal currents are not a big factor.  Rake the mast very slightly aft or at least not as far forward, add weight to the bow, reduce it in the stern, keep your own weight forward. After a tack if the rudder does not respond and your bow falls away from the wind don't keep the jib sheet in tight. Slack it enough to allow the bow to head up before trimming it.  The 16's shallow keel with original stretched sails makes sailing to windward less efficient but the boat will still get you where you want to go.
I'm about 2 hours away from Casco Bay and have some time this week.  Emaiil me if you want. Phil

skip1930

The Physics  of sailing.

http://youtu.be/yqwb4HIrORM

Sail Trim

http://youtu.be/doprcXEU8SE

Learn to sail using the tell tales

http://youtu.be/hnOO5Z0zOfs

skip.