a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compac 16/3 forestay diameter and CDI FF1

Started by DavidPA, September 03, 2013, 08:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidPA

I have searched the forum regarding the CDI FF1 vs FF2 for my 16/3 and wondered how well the 5/32 inch forestay fits into the FF1 extrusion.  It is advertised as accepting a max wire diameter of 1/8 inch.  I have a FF1 on order and hope it will fit.  Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Eagleye

David,
I just happened to have a piece of the FF1 extrusion setting here on my desk.  (Don't ask why.)  The center hole in the extrusion measures approximately 5/16", which is plenty large enough to accommodate your forestay cable.  More importantly though is the diameter of the swage fitting on your turnbuckle stud which has to pass through the extrusion.  Let us know how you make out.

By the way I still have a used FF1 extrusion available for the price of shipping:

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5872.0

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

DavidPA

Hi Allen!

Thanks a lot for your reply and for measuring the extrusion center hole.  I measured the swage fitting and it is 5/16" at its widest part.  Hopefully the extrusion center hole is a bit larger than 5/16. I have read accounts of other compac 16 owners using the FF1 and I hope the swage fittings on their stays are the same size as mine.

I may be interested in having a spare extrusion if the FF1 works out.  In that case I will let you know and pay for shipping to me.  Thanks for offering that.

I really appreciate the help.

Dave

Eagleye

David,

The center hole in PVC extrusion is a bit irregular in shape and at it's most narrow dimension it is just 5/16". 
It sounds like (with a little lube)  ;D  you should be good.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

DavidPA