a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Style Gin Pole for My Eclipse

Started by blocknshackle, August 23, 2013, 12:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blocknshackle

Just got a Com-Pac replacement gin pole for my Eclipse to replace the old one that is lying on the bottom of a lake.  I had it sent to my son's address while I am traveling, so I haven't actually seen it.  He tells me it has a loop on one end welded to the stainless tube instead of the plastic slot that you used to jam the jib halyard into.  Anyone use this type?  From my son's description it sounds like you place the open end of the pole over the knob at the fwd. part of the mast as before and then clip in the jib halyard shackle and clip in the pulley system from the bowpiece to this metal loop to raise and lower mast as before.  Have I got this right?

Mike

Eagleye

Mike,
Yes,it sounds like you have correct.  The jib halyard connects to the loop on the gin pole. (Be sure to cleat the other end off on the mast so the gin pole is 90 degrees to the mast.)  The block and tackle, which is also your boom vang, also clips on the loop on the end of the gin pole and the other end goes to the connection on the bowsprit.  Also be sure that the locking end of the boom vang is connected at the bowsprit so you can control the mast with that as you raise or lower the mast.  This will let you lock everything up with the mast part way up or down to unsnag the pesky shrouds that want to hook on just about anything.

Here is a pic of the Madame all setup to step the mast.  In this case I was at a ramp that had a low bridge between it and the lake.  I prepped the boat to this point then launched and then stepped the mast on the water after motoring under the bridge.  The system really works well and I have also paid close attention to place the gin pole in a place that won't escape into the depths.

Good Luck,
Allen

"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

blocknshackle

Thanks for confirming that, Allen.  I'll pick up the pole tomorrow and try it out Sunday.  BTW, the Madame is looking good.  I don't know how Northeastern sailors react to the Eclipse, but there is a lot of interest at my summer marina here in the Pacific Northwest.  Many of these folks are hard-core sailors who take off on multi-week trips.  They all comment favorably on the Eclipse, even if they don't necessarily know what she is or perhaps are not too familiar with the Com-Pac name.  They are extremely rare here.  I think all see the value in a trailerable boat even though most are probably not ready to give up their Beneteaus, Pacific Seacrafts and their Tayanas. :)

Mike

Eagleye

Mike,
Looking at older post I see that you have had your Eclipse for over 3 years now.  I'm glad that I was able to confirm what you had already suspected. 
I sail mostly on inland lakes here in the Northeast and I get the same reaction about the Eclipse.  There are a few Com-Pacs around but only a few sailors who recognize the name.  Almost every time we go out it seems we will have someone come over to admire the Madame as we are rigging for the sail or packing her away for the trip home. There is no doubt that they are an eye catcher and we really enjoy taking her to new places on a whim, which their trailerability affords.
(We are leaving in a few minutes to explore a new section of the Hudson River.)

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

skip1930

It's a short and light mast. Heft it up on your shoulder and have a line or strap going to the winch on the trailer through the bow anchor roller, your safety man [women] can crank her up, or just take up the slack.

I just put a line on the forward stay and have a person take up the slack as I walk up the mast. Tie it off when I comes time to walk up on the doghouse of my CP-19 and push her up some more. Tie the safety line off, put in the Harken pin and tighten up the back stay.

skip.