a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Simple Jib Downhaul

Started by Short Sale, August 09, 2013, 02:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Short Sale

I recently rigged a downhaul for my 16/II that works great, so I thought I would share some of the information on what I did for anyone who wants to install a jib downhaul and for others who have better ideas or suggestions for improvement.

I purchased a small 1/4 inch diameter block from West Marine and some braided line with a unique color fleck so that the downhaul line would be easy to identify.  I attached the block to one of the holes on the bow where the clew of the jib is attached.  Then I ran the line through the block and made a loop secured by a bowline knot so that the loop's knot will not slip and I can easily untie it when I need to stow everything in the sail bag.  When I hank on the jib, I place the shackle from the jib halyard through the top, or head, of the jib AND through the loop on the downhaul.  I let the other end of the downhaul trail back to the cockpit and slip it in the space under the jib cleat.  This placement keeps it out of the way of the jib sheets and halyards, but holds it in place for when it is needed.  You could place the trailing end of the downhaul anywhere that is convenient for you and your setup.  Just male sure that the downhaul line is loose when sailing.

When it is time to head back in and lower the jib, I uncleat the jib halyard and pull on the downhaul.  This lowers the jib down onto the foredeck easily.  I can pull the jib sheet tight to make sure that the sail does not fall over the sides of the deck.  Sometimes it is easier to lower the sails when the boat is pointed into the wind.  This simple downhaul system eliminates the need to go forward of the mast on the deck to pull down the jib, which can be tricky if there is high wind or a lot of waves on the water.  A point that any Com-Pac sailor can understand.

I know most of you are experienced sailors and already have downhauls or roller furling systems, but many of us are less experienced or are new Com-Pac owners.  I know that when I want to make a modification, repair, or improvement, this site is the first place to search I search this forum.

Here are some pictures to help illustrate what I did.

This is the Loop on the downhaul that is in the shackle for the jib.  The jib is just not on in this picture.

This is how it looks when we are underway.  Notice that the downhaul line has no tension in it when under way.

Hoping to get out on the water this week end.

George
1987 Com-Pac 16/II #2454

deisher6

Thanks George:
I am going to try this method out.  I have tried a much cheaper system using 1/8 inch line and no blocks..... it was not satisfactory probably because (among other things) I ran the line through all the shackles on the luff and it jammed.  I like your design much better.

regards charlie

MHardy

Thanks for sharing. This is the method that Keith Scott of The Sailboat Company (long time NC Com-Pac dealer) recommended to me. I just haven't had time to install it yet. Glad to know it works!
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

DavidPA

Do you ever have problems with the jib sheets becoming tangled in the jib downhaul line running back to the cockpit?

philb Junkie19

On my 16II I have a second small block attached to the mast step and run the downhaul from the block at the tack through the one at the mast to the jib halyard cleat next to the companionway. The drawback is a line running a few inches above the foredeck if you have it snug, which makes sure you don't find it fouled when you really I need it. (voice of experience). I used it several times today with the 110 and storm jib. I started with 110 and full main, reefed the main then ducked into a sheltered cove to change to the storm jib with reefed main. Glad the shelter was there. When the wind moderated some I let out the reef and stayed with the storm jib. Maybe the best sail of the summer.

Short Sale

DavidPA asked if I had problems with the jib sheets becoming tangled in the jib downhaul line. I have not had any issues with tangling, but I must admit that the downhaul is a fairly new improvement and I have not had very many hours using it.  As philb points out, without a doubt, there will be a time when it is fouled.
1987 Com-Pac 16/II #2454