a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tiller handle on new Sunday Cat

Started by Mldun, August 08, 2013, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mldun

I just picked up my new Sunday cat last week and it is my first new sailboat with a tiller. I was a little surprised to find that the tiller handle comes with no finish, just natural wood. It seems that it should be treated in some way. I would like to know what others in the group have done to finish the tiller. Thanks

capt_nemo

Mldun,

Congratulations on your NEW Sunday Cat.

My NEW 2010 Sun Cat was delivered with absolutely no finish on ALL the wood, inside and outside, including the tiller. And, yes, the wood should have a protective coating to preserve and protect it from the elements.

The first thing I did was park the boat in my garage, thanks to the "Garage Package" Option, and remove ALL the wood possible without damaging it. I actually disassembled the entire interior of the boat which amounted to a considerable amount of wood pieces. To avoid damaging the glued and screwed teak pieces on the outside I taped them well in preparation for coating. Having many years experience using SIKKENS Cetol Marine finishes I chose to use multiple coats of Cetol Marine Light. For hidden compartment covers I simply coated the marine ply with Epoxy.

Here's a photo showing removal of the forward bulkhead and ceiling panels.

The plywood panels for Epoxy coating.

The numerous inside and outside pieces.

The large ceiling panels.

The interior reassembled.

Have fun coating your wood and sailing your NEW boat.

capt_nemo

nies

What is the Garage Option? ..............nies

capt_nemo

nies,

The "Garaage Package" Option provides a mast with the short hinged bottom section sleeved (female opening) to slide over a male stub protruding from the foredeck and the boom gallows stainless supports similarly sleeved for easy removal. This drops the needed clearance down from approx. 8' to around 6' to fit through a standard garage door opening. This, together with my hinged trailer tongue allowed me to back my 17' Sun Cat straight into one side of a two car garage. Had to remove winch/spare tire support arm to get around boat with garage door down.

It is great for long term storage or working on a project requiring a sheltered work area but I wouldn't want to disassemble and reassemble the mast each time I used my boat.

nies

Thanks for the reply and picture................................nies

captmac

We were looking to purchase a Suncat and I like the garage option, how difficult is the lowering of the mast stub and gallows (I am 60) can you do it by your self, do you just lay it on its side on the boat, I have not been able to find anybody given a full description of the process just that you don't want to do it on a regular bases.
Thanks
Jay

Salty19

Tillers deserve a good coating of Cetol, varnish, etc. 

I would advise to put 5-8 coats on of whatever you choose, waiting for the coats to dry well before reapplication.  Then let it all dry for a week before putting into service (these coatings will tend to be soft for a time despite what the label will tell you).   Don't be afraid to sand lightly with fine grade synthetic steel wool (3M makes this) between coats to really make it smooth.  Again, despite what the label tells you.  Just don't be frugal with the number of coats..it will look gorgeous and be well protected for many years (assuming you use a tiller cover).

And of course while you're doing it, the other wood work can be done as well.

Nemo...you, sir....are THE MAN!!!!

"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

capt_nemo

captmac,

Ask, and you shall receive!

With the Garage Package, lowering the mast stub and gallows is not difficult, and I'm 69. Just follow a simple common sense procedure and go slow.

First, the preparations. Make sure you have some good padding available on the foredeck, behind the mast, and on one side of the cabin top between the sliding hatch and handrail. (I use old towels on foredeck and large pieces of old carpet on cabin top.) Then, place something on the seat at the aft end of the cockpit high enough to support the mast and boom keeping it just clear of the cabin top. (I use a small 3-step ladder.)

Remove the mainsheet rig by disconnecting the large block under the boom and set it aside out of the way. Leave the mainsail on with sail cover and all other rigging in place. Remove the two ball-lock pins securing the sleeved gallows supports. Now, standing on the cockpit seats straddling the cockpit opening and facing aft, use your shoulder (and legs) to raise the mast and boom (together) a few inches up off the gallows and then lift the gallows off the bottom stubs and gently set aside. Place the mast and boom on your prepositioned support and secure with a ball-bungee. Move the gallows well out of the way.

Move forward to the mast and remove the four (4) bolts and two (2) small side covers at the lower end of the mast stub. Assume a well balanced body position and lift the mast, boom, and short mast stub STRAIGHT up until it clears the male stub and set it down temporarily on the prepositioned padding. Reposition yourself as necessary to lift the mast stub end high enough to just clear the cabin top then rotate it about 90 degrees and set it down gently on the prepositioned padding on top of the cabin. While lifting and rotating the mast and boom make sure all remains well at the aft end secured to your support mechanism. Adjust to suit, secure in place, back into garage.

Following the aforementioned procedure my Sun Cat can enter a standard garage door height with the covered mainsail making gentle contact with the rubber weather proof seal.

And, although it isn't rocket science, it isn't a procedure I'd want to repeat each time I went sailing.

capt_nemo

captmac

Thanks Capt Nemo, great info and great site

Jay