News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Do you have a solution for leeward jib sheet catching on deck electrical plug?

Started by marc, August 04, 2013, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc

Every now and then a tack gets botched up because my leeward jib sheet gets caught behind the windward side of the deck electrical plug that powers my steaming light. If I take up the slack on the leeward sheet as I'm tacking, I avoid the problem, but that is not always convenient/possible. I run into this problem maybe once every other outing. I'm sure there is an easy solution for this - but I haven't thought of it yet. Any ideas?

Bob23

Marc:
   The solution I came up with for my 23 was to run thin lines (about 3/16") from the bow cleat to the mast about 4 or 5 feet up. Then I ran lines from the stanchions on either side and tied it off to the first line creating a sort of cage. I have more things to get snagged on- solar panel and GPS antenna. Since creating the cage, I've had nary a snag. You just gotta watch going forward...they could be trippers to the clumsy, which I'm not.
   The end of line 1 at the mast has a snap shackle which fasten to the whisker pole eye on the track. When I'm done, I unsnap it and it lays on the deck while the boat is moored or anchored. I wish I had a picture of it.
Bob23

MacGyver

I could see that happening. Luckily it hasnt happened to me, and I am guessing that is because of the electrical wiring I have coming out of the top of it, and its angle back into the mast. The roundness of the cable has made a cage like ability that I have seen the sheets come off of it easily.
Maybe look at the "flow" of the wire, that could keep you from having to add stuff like what Bob23 talks about...... Otherwise what he speaks of sounds like a good option.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.