a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

length of tiller handle?

Started by jb, August 10, 2013, 07:47:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

still trying to tune the CP-16, one item that I'm not particularly satisfied with is the the length of the tilller handle. I prefer to be closer to the cuddy, forward part of the cockpit, vs centrally located while sailing.

I find it a little dryer, access to items are more convenient, the weight distribution/centrally located may be better and probably most important, my previous two boats had this ability and I guess I'm slow to adapt to new things.

My question is has anybody tried putting a longer handle on the tiller, if so what length and the pros and cons.

thanks,

j

Craig

The biggest problem would be loss of cockpit space and perhaps limitation of tiller motion( a longer tiller will sweep a larger arc forward). Better solution would be a tiller extension which would allow you to steer from just about anyplace in the cockpit.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

nies

I have a tiller extension purchased from West Marine that the tube extends to various lengths, you have to drill a hole in the end of your tiller to insert the end of extension into, works great................nies

skip1930

This tiller minder can be used as an extension of the tiller on my CP-19. This set-up can be placed in a pocket and locked in the cockpit combing.
Adjustable for either side of the boat allowing for tac. The bar snaps into a socket drilled and placed under the tiller.

For an enlarged view, hold control key down while tapping the + key. Hold and Tap - key to shrink back down.

" Would the Ida Rudder make a noticeable difference with tiller control?? " Yes.

Purchased, both the adjustable 'bar', the socket under the tiller, and the pockets on the side of the combing.  Brand is ForeSpar.
I picked these up from my local West Marine store. Expensive but I like it.

If I was to do it again I'd consider moving the pockets astern of the cockpit side cushions. A minor mistake.

The teak organizer on the fuel tank cover came from West marine as well. Used these 1/4-20 fasteners that have a wood screw on one end and a machine screw on the other end from Ace Hardware. Once the wood screws are in the backside of the organizer, then just a drop of paint on the machine screw side will leave a mark on the cover, marking where to drill for the fasteners. Then finish off with a flat washers and a acorn nuts.

Sailing back from Marionette-Menominee everything was dogged down and I fell asleep, sailing past Sturgeon Bay and awaking near Peshtigo Reef. I had to come about and sail back to Sturgeon Bay. About 4 miles. I would not recommend it.

skip.

jb

Craig, you make a valid point about the  " limitation of tiller motion".

I've tried the tiller extension but, I think the required length of the extension and the angle to the tiller, combined with the heavy weather helm does not produce satisfactory result...for me!

Maybe this is just the " nature of the beast" and I will have to adjust accordingly. Would the Ida Rudder make a noticeable difference with tiller control??

thanks for your suggestions.

j

jb

Skip,

the tiller minder sounds like a possibility! Is that something you created of purchased?  Image is a little small for my eyes, can you send me a larger pic??

j