a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Owner questions

Started by BenM, August 18, 2013, 03:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenM

I have purchased a com-pac 16 a few weeks ago.  I have replaced the bulkheads and mass compression post and am getting ready to put here on the water.  I have limited sailing experience.  I have taken classes at the local lake and have built and sailed a phil bolger cartopper.  I have a couple of questions on rigging. 

1) There does not appear to be a solid connection on the goose neck.  From what I can tell it slides on the sail track and  is held down with a line to the cleat on the bottom of the mast.  Is that all that is needed?

2) how should the clew of the sail connect to the boom.  I see there are two holes for the connection on the boom and cleat on the side of the boom which looks to be for an out haul.  Should there be pulley mounted on the boom or sail?

Thank You.

Spartan

Ben

Here's a photo of the end of my boom with a block for the outhaul on the mainsail.  It comes from the sail around the block and is made fast to the block on the boom.

For the gooseneck, the mainsail is raised to the top of the mast, then the downhaul (small line on the gooseneck, is pulled down and tight and made fast to the small block below. 

Hope this helps
Cheers
Tom
Tom R.
CP-16 Spartan

BenM

thank you.  just what i needed.

Short Sale

There is a small block or pulley for the outhaul mounted on the boom about six inches aft of the cleat on my rig.  As Spartan says, hoist the sail, tighten the downhaul on the mast, then tighten the outhaul on the boom and you will be ready to go.    This is a photo of it.
1987 Com-Pac 16/II #2454

deisher6

Short Sale:  I use that pulley for the out haul to reef in my mainsail. Note that Spartan doesn't have one of these pulley's on his boom.  I use a set up the same as his for the unreefed sail.
Really anyway that works as long as it sails and is safe is good.

regards charlie

JBC

Charlie is right about the cheek block on the boom; it's used for the jiffy reefing line on the mainsail, near the leech.  That line starts (on my boom) at an eyelet on the opposite side of the boom from the cheekblock, runs up through the reefing point and back down to the block. The cleat shown is used to tie off the mainsail outhaul, once it has passed through a block at the end of the boom.  I use the hole closest to the sail's clew for that block; the other hole I use to clip in my topping line. The reefing line is fairly long and after running through the cheekblock, ties off (on my boom) on a cleat mounted not too far behind the gooseneck.

But I've also used that cheekblock for the outhaul when I've forgotten to run it through the outhaul block.  It works.

Jett