a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Installing a roller furling on a C-16

Started by Tadpole, August 24, 2013, 05:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tadpole

I'm finally ready to buy a C-16 (actually a C-16 II), but some of the boats available don't have roller furling jibs.  I'd like to get a 135 or 150 jib, but I have no idea what is involved in installing the roller furling and attaching the jib.  Tools?  Time?  Skill level?

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Tadlpole

skip1930

Go to the Harken web site and down load the installation instructions for a Harken '00' furler.
I have these instructions in my Photobucket I think. Time does not permit me right now to dig it out.

That gives you an idea on what is involved. No need to shorten or lengthen the head stay. Leave that alone.

Many other kinds of furlers out there too.

Looking astern, are you fitted out with a roller furling boom [no good with a boom vang] or a Quick Reefing system on the boom?

skip. 

MacGyver

With as many of these roller furlers I have installed, Harken being the main but the boats I work on are typically 25 to 38 feet.
On your little boat the only way to go is CDI furler. It is a flexible furler. Especially if you trailer sail.

Last option is build your own and guys on here have done that. It utilizes the hank on headsail. They have done admirable jobs on here.

But if you don't want to build your own then get a CDI flexible furler......... the aluminum foiled units are too big for your boat including the 00AL by Harken.

CDI units are not hard to install requiring minimal tooling. And the cost is more reasonable as well.
They work well and coupled with a 150 or so will allow you to have the size sail needed for that day. Roll out a 110 or 80 or all 150........that is the nice thing about furlers.

I have been pondering installing a CDI myself on our 19 only because I feel my time is worth more than its worth to build one.........I have also installed so many that I don't want any hang ups or possible issues. ;)

Harkens are nice........but honestly, trailer sailing a Harken furler is a pain.....and the possibility of bending that aluminum foil is too great. 

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Tadpole

Mac and Skip,

Thanks for your input.  CDI it is if I have to buy a furler. 

Regarding the roller furling boom or quick reefing system.... I don't have a boat yet.  My previous boats have all had traditional mainsail reefing systems.  I've never had a roller furling boom, however I've not heard good things about them.  Does the C-16 II come with a roller furling boom?

Tadpole

Salty19

Another expense issue is the sails will need to be modified to work with a commercial furler. Generally this involves shortening the luff, removing hanks, sewing on luff tape (the material that fits into the slot of the furler), and who knows what else. If you're going to leave it in a slip or mooring for extended times you'll need some protective fabric (ie sunbrella) sewed on to keep UV of the Dacron sail material. I bought all new headsails when converting to a furler for best performance and fit, and glad I did. They were pretty reasonable at National Sail-about $450 for a CP19 jib or genoa ready for the furler.

A few things about the CDI I'm not crazy about--the foil needs to be kept as straight as possible at all times or it will bend. Removing and reinstalling sail is a bear, or so I've heard from several people. Doing so while on the water might be very tough.  These might not be issues for some.

Actually the Harken 00AL aluminum foil can bend quite a bit without damage.  Been there, done that.  The design makes it a lot easier to change sails should you decide to get both a jib and genoa.

if budget is an issue, the homemade versions do work, and if you design/build it right, it will work well and last.

Kicknbugs all aluminum version with slot to exchange headsails looks to be the nicest I've seen on the net (and have seen it in person). You'll have to an update from him about changing out headsails, not sure if he's done that yet on the water.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603