a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

converting a cp19 into a three point rig

Started by kickingbug1, November 09, 2013, 05:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i have read that  the sailboat company in north carolina has been re-rigging com-pac 19s with a three point rig similar to the cp16. they remove the spreader (which they say is only for show) and attach new chainplates farther aft. they have installed a mast tender system on some of these boats but i think given the light weight of the mast this isnt necessary. apparently none of the 5 or so boats they have altered has had any issues. since im just a trailer sailor this might be an option for stepping up from my 16 to a 19. has anyone seen a 19 so converted?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

i've thought about this myself.  they claim you just move the upper shrouds chainplates centered between the ports.  i don't see the need to remove the spreaders though.  without the backstay, it would be harder to rake the mast aft.  the big advantage i see, is the ability to add a very small amount of sail as the main could now go all the way to the end of the boom.

you could, however, replace the boom with a longer one so as to add more sail and have the main sheet run vertical to gain cockpit space. 

carl
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

this guy is always thinking----you go ahead and make the necessary changes and then call me to set up the delivery date of my 19.   on a side note----dont listen to the wife too much, today we went on a bike ride arround the lake instead of sailing on it.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

capt_nemo

There are many variations on this same theme. Whether it is converting to a three point rig, going from a Marconi Rig to a Gaff Headed Sloop, or whatever. Any REASONABLE and PURPOSEFUL Rig change may indeed be possible. I believe some have even been described on this web site.

The main things to remember when making such changes is to first, ensure that you deal adequately with the directional forces that are imposed on the mast and standing rigging. And second, that whatever additions or changes you make don't adversely affect the BALANCE of the rig in relation to the center of lateral resistance, or pressure (CLR or CLP) of a particular hull.

For example, I decided to add a 4' homemade well supported bowsprit to my Sun Cat to experiment and play with various mast head headsails. Therefore, to be on the safe side, I fabricated and added additional mast head shrouds (attached to the same chain plates) and a second mast head quick-release forestay to take the additional loads placed on the upper 4' of previously unsupported mast. The additional shrouds work as intended and do not get in the way at all when rigging or derigging at the ramp.

Here are a few pics of the changes. First, the Bowsprit supported with bobstay and whisker stays.

The double shrouds are shown at the chain plate.

Double shrouds just visible in this pic with home made mast head Drifter.

Just some food for thought.

capt_nemo

mattman

Kickingbug, if you are looking at a 19 talk with Smitty at Boulder, he is setting one up and selling for a lady who is recently widowed.  I believe the boat is the one that a guy named Jobst had out of St. Louis (wooden port treatments-brackets for solar panel...)-he sailed it on the river, did some mods-sold and bought a Flicka that he sailed down to Florida and subsequently lost in a hurricane. He has a pretty extensive website on his trials. Somewhere along the line I met him somewhere on a chat I think. Last I had heard he was maybe going to a 16. Anyhow,  Smitty said the boat was a 90ish but I think it may be a bit older more like 85??(didn't think to look on the transom-we were on the way for beers..) Took a pic to send to you but number you gave me doesn't support data? Any way just to let you know. What are your concerns with the 6 stay mast? You seem to be looking for a bit more windward performance and that backstay is going to help your sailshape- especially if you make it adjustable(which could make setup time a little quicker.) Btw we ended up at Bretz for onion rings beer and cheesecake, any Clr guys hang out there???? Would be nice to get together and hang while the boats are on the hard. 
Happy Sailing

kickingbug1

hey matt, sounds like a good deal maybe john, rich, wroundy, luke and i can join you sometime, if i get some stuff done here i might just sail today-----phone # 616)588-3889.

kickingbug1

MacGyver

I can attest to changing the sail shape/performance using the backstay.
I have done it myself when I was out by myself, and it did change the way she sailed.

Let me know too about Bretz. Nice place, Wife drinks wine up there and I down a few REDD's.
Food is good.

Unless you guys dont allow CP19er's in the group, LOL

Let me know a little ahead of time and we should be able to plan ahead for it, between work schedules and Masonic events sometimes it gets a little tight.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

kickingbug1

BruceW

I've seen several of Keith's projects with regard to the 19 and the 23. I actually put the mastender on my Slipper 17, based on Keith's work with 19s and 23s. My main reason for doing so was to tow without taking the boom and main sail off. It was easy to raise the mast, but I kept hurting my back. The mastender setup helped that a little.

When I had my 19, I just straddled the mast while facing the stern, and lifted it by backing up. Easy peasy. I would consider doing the 3 point and the mastender just for the convenience of lest undo-redo.

I also mostly towed my 19 with the mast in the step, just leaned back. Never had a problem in the 7 years I did that.
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23