Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse Fourth of July sail!

Started by Glenn Basore, July 06, 2013, 09:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

Hi all,

On Wednsday I sailed for about 3 1/2 hours off the Ventura Cost line of Sothern Ca. The seas were flat, no white caps and the wind was 8 - 10 mph , the sky was covered with a thick marnie layer which blocked out the sun keeping the temperatures around 65 degrees, a welcome relief from my home area where the temperatures remain at 100 degrees plus.

I really enjoying being able to hold my course for long periods of time and just leaning back taking it all in. We saw a few dolphins and seals, there always fun to watch.

My sail wasn't as long as I would have liked but I had a newbie sailing with me ( he is 67 im 65) and I wanted him to enjoy it so, we returned to the docks and called it a day.

So, who else sailed over the Fourth of July ?

Glenn

Bob23

I did.
   On the 4th, I sailed my 23 down from the marina where she's launched to her summer mooring in Surf City, NJ. Had a great sail...started out with no wind ended up with  about 18-20 knts of SSW winds. Just as a person who's slept too long is a bit wobbly on his feet, so too my Koinonia couldn't seem to find her groove at first but eventually she took off, found her lines and we made good progress under sail until ICW marker #48 which took us on a course dead into the wind. There, Miss Nissan, size 8 took over and we motored the rest of the way to our home mooring. It could be the blow out low tides we are experiencing or the redesigning of the bay by Hurricane Sany, but it seemed it was shallower almost everywhere I went and I've sailed these same waters for years.  All in all, it was a wonderful day on the Barnegat Bay, NJ with the expected high boat traffic and no problems.
   On the 5th, my brother and I sailed one of my customers Precision 15 to his house. Any time we sail it's always an experience and this was no exception. This P15 is a keel boat requiring 18" of water. Interesting when you in blow out tide conditions and 20 knt winds. I pulled that boat off the shallows for about 20 minutes till I found deep water. We had a blast!
   The 6th saw me rowing. Went out on the Guideboat (still unnamed) for a leisurly 9+ mile row. Wonderful time and I bumped into another rower on his Maas 24 who was having a tough time in the typical boat wake and wind chop conditions. The Guideboat lives for this kind of rowing and we exchanged pleasantries and names as we rowed our separate ways. We did not race although he noted I might beat him in these conditions. I think he was being kind.
   Of course, today is the 7th...what kinds of water adventures will happen today?
Bob23