a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

toggles on a CDI furler ?

Started by jb, July 21, 2013, 07:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

have a FF2 furler from my old boat that I would like to install on my 1996 CP16.

The CDI instructions state "..there should be a  toggle at both ends of the forestay." Current forestay has a toggle on the deck side but none on the mast end. Mast end does have the ability to move fore & aft.  I was hoping to be able to utilize the present forestay  and avoid buying a new piece of wire??

What has been the practice  of CP16 owners with a CDI furler??  Two toggles ??

Thanks for any input.

jb

p.s. originally posted under C-16 with no responses

skip1930

Sorry. I don't understand the question, no matter how many time I read this post.
What is a toggle? And how does it work, or suppose to work?

Is this question somehow associated with a 3/4 rig vs. a masthead sloop rig? No, not pinching between the wire and the mast.

Let me state the obvious; The upper 'tac' has to pull the sail up the forestay yet allow the entire sail to 'spin' around that forestay.
What's up with this?--> "Mast end does have the ability to move fore & aft." O.K. ? I'm dumb. I don't get it.

The bottom tac is just that. A tac attached to the bottom of the sail and rolls the sail around the furler. Now what doesn't do what?

Adding a furler over a forestay, properly cut to size should not change the angle or length of the existing forestay, right?

skip.

MacGyver

Any chance of getting a picture? I think it is setup the same as a 19, and that will be fine. The basic idea is that the toggle keeps it from twisting, which can be a issue on the CDI units as they dont really have a riding bearing.

That is my understanding of it all.

I never commented on your post in 16s thinking someone might have already done it with a CDI, but I guess not.

As a rule of thumb, we have to have new forestays made most of the time. never installed a CDI,
The reason for a new forestay is typically because there is a spacer that has to be installed for the bottom connection of the furler setup.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Eagleye

jb,
Maybe this will help.

My Eclipse comes with a CDI FF1 that we may "assume" is similar to the FF2.  The manual for the FF1 also indicates that it requires a toggle on both ends.  This is the illustration from the manual.

Com-Pac choose to use their own system which has a hooked end swaged onto the cable that hooks into the mast.

I don't know what your setup is on your forestay but if it is something similar and it is able to let the halyard top fitting rotate freely then you may have a shot at it.  If all else fails you still can purchase a new forestay cable.

Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

jb

thanks for your replies, thanks Eagleye for the pics.  I'm having a difficult time trying visualize the installation of the toggle, if necessary, at that end of the forestay?? The issue has to do more with the design of the tangs that attach the forestay to the mast. I'll try to get a picture.