a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Pamlico Sound

Started by wroundey, July 19, 2013, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wroundey

Any readers out there sail the Pamlico sound area? I am headed to NC next week, although I am not taking my CP 16, I was thinking about chartering in the sound. What are the marinas and anchorages like?
Thanks

bob lamb

Check out ncsail.org. 
They're the experts on the Pamlico area.

Bob

wes

Hey W - I'm a regular Pamlico River (not sound) guy. I keep my 19 at McCotter's Marina off Broad Creek, on the upper Pamlico about seven miles downstream from the Washington waterfront. Have not ventured all the way down the river to the sound yet (about 20 miles from my marina). On the lower river near the sound, there are marinas at the town of Belhaven, and on North Creek. This part of North Carolina (the "inner banks") is an amazingly rich sailing area; very beautiful, unspoiled, and mostly undeveloped. There are not very many "fancy" marinas, restaurants, or hotels; it's not Annapolis or even Oriental by a long stretch. But the sailing is excellent.

I am told that sailing in the sound proper can be challenging in a small boat (under 20'). The combination of big wind and shallow water leads to a nasty chop that can come up in a matter of minutes; I've experienced this myself when sailing on the Neuse River from New Bern to Oriental (also on the Pamlico Sound, but further south). Bigger boats love it, I'm sure, but most of my friends who have smaller boats tend to stick to the Neuse and Pamlico rivers.

That NCSail site can be hit or miss; it's not as well organized as CPYOA (what is?). An excellent resource is Keith Scott, who's in his 70s and owns the Sailboat Company in Richlands, NC. Keith is pretty much the "dean" of North Carolina sailing, and has been a Com-Pac dealer for over 30 years. A call to him will yield an amazing wealth of information.  910-324-4005 or sailboat@ipass.net (recommend phone if you really want to get the details).

Do you belong to the "Com-Pac Yacht Owners Association" Facebook group? A fellow who posts there named Charles Cockman sails out of North Creek and might be a good source of info about sailing on the sound.

Good luck! See you on the water.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

wroundey

Wes,
Thanks for the info on Pamlico. I do belong to the CP owners assoc. Just had my CP16 over at Carlyle Lake last weekend for the CLR2014.

JazzCat

I sail on the Neuse River near Oriental. Check out the Oriental News at towndock.net . There is a classified section that sometimes has charter info listed. Also Active Captain  https://activecaptain.com/  lists marinas and anchorages whereever you might go.
DW...89 Com-Pac 16