Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

gelcoat color for the CP-16

Started by jb, July 03, 2013, 04:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jb

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck in finding a gelcoat product or formula, that closely resembles a match for the 16. I have several small areas in my "refurb" that needs some touch up.

thanks,

jb

Gee-Pa

Hutchins has it for sale in 4 different sizes.  It's in their Nov. 2012 Com-Pac 16 Parts list.

Harrier

I recently called Hutchins to purchase some myself for a '94.  They indicated that the color has been "tweaked" many times over the years and recommended a do it your self kit as a better option.

MacGyver

The problem with Gelcoat is that the makers do just that. And also everyone needs to realize that the very gelcoat on your own boat is also now a different color.

As a matter of fact, at West Access Marina, any boat over around 5 years old is a different color than what it started out as.......

Gelcoat when mixed changes hue.......

Gelcoat, is a harder surface than most in comparison to car paint, etc, but what it is not is UV strong..........

I have talked with several members on the phone from the forum about the repair using gelcoat. And I could go on at length about the issues.
That being said, I am not saying you shouldnt use it, just saying dont expect it to be right when you use it.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

jb