a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 16/2 STAY ADJUSTER PROBLEM

Started by hunterb4, July 03, 2013, 02:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunterb4

I want to put a F1 CDI furler on my Com-Pac 16/2. To tension the rig I was told to use a Quick Release Lever Shroud Adjuster and put it on one of the side stays. The small Johnson West Marine lever adjuster which is the proper size is not made to accept the threaded bolt at the stay's end that you have when you remove the turnbuckle.

How then do you tension the furler rig with one of these Quick Release lever Shroud Adjusters?

Any help will be much appreciated.

hunterb4

BobK

Hunterb4,
If I remember right the cdi furler can slide up and expose the turnbuckle to adjust the forestay.  With this I can't see why you would want to add a lever adjuster to a shroud.
Bobk

hunterb4

Apparently, once everything is connected while the lever of the adjuster is open, merely closing it tensions the entire rig.There is no need for screwing the turnbuckle. I have a large one on the aft stay of my CP19 and it is invaluable. One flip of the lever and the whole rig is properly tensioned. That's why it is used on the 16 but on one of the port or starboard stays according to a CP16/2 owner in the past but he failed to describe how it works when you can't screw the shroud end to the unit. There has to be a transition piece that will take that turnbuckle screw.

Thanks for you input.

-hunter

Salty19

It might not work as is, might need a new stay with an eye instead of a threaded swaged bolt.

Johnson has adjusters that accept swaged ends, and might work for you but with a 5/16" hole, you would have to drill out the chainplates. Some would say to not do that due to potential metal fatigue issues.

item 14-211 in their online catalog, page 32 is what I'm referring to

Or I think Hutchins can provide you a new stay and quick adjuster as a package, sized to work for your boat. That's would I would do if you can't seem to match up parts..you know it will fit.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

skip1930

" use a Quick Release Lever Shroud Adjuster and put it on one of the side stays. "

Here in lies your problem Son.
Once the side shrouds [stays] are set for sailing ... Never, never un do them.
The mast goes up and down just fine without messing with these. [not really].

The lever action tensioner may work for the standing rigging in the bow but how does that work with the furler?
My guess is, it doesn't.

Or am I missing something? I don't sail a CP-16, but it's true for a CP-19.

I guess is the stick goes up, pinned in the bow and pulled back by the side stays, which are behind the centerline of the mast. Hummm?
Back to tensioning the side stays since these little CP-16's don't have an aft stay to pull tension on the furler.

What's so difficult about using the hand to twist the turnbuckles to 'firm'? Or a little swaging here and there will incorporate the lever action do-hicky's into the side standing rigging.

skip.

hunterb4

The difference is convenience, Skip. Once we used to have to get out and crank a car engine to start it. Today we push a button or turn a key. That's the difference. Thanks.

hunter

skip1930

Touché.

I have a car that one can start with a crank or key and foot starter button.

She had a blown head gasket due to a 'crown' [not flat head in the center]. So I took her apart.

skip.

Yea, it has a rumble seat, which was an option from Ford. I wish it had the non-option trunk. Same deck lid, just flip-flopped with a different hinge arrangement

http://s259.photobucket.com/user/1930fordroadster/slideshow/Ford%20Model%20A%201928%20to%201931

hunterb4

By golly you are COVERED!!! The only thing that baby can do is START!

Way to go.

hunter

sailen69

Look through or search in the CP 16 section for CDI FF1 ON A CP-16.

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5419.msg38206#msg38206

hunterb4

Good point.

Is there a rumbleseat in that beauty? As a kid I always wanted  one of those cars with a rumbleseat. Never got it but do remember the thrill of riding in one.

Thanks.

hunter

JBC

Back to the original problem.  I'll go with the "convenience" approach and whatever is best to achieve that for rig tension.  I use a CDI II furler on my 16 and trailer-sail the boat.  I must say I have adopted the set-it-up-and-fugetaboutit approach.  As Skip mentions, I leave my shrouds attached to the side plates at all times.  Then I adjusted the furling drum turnbuckle (forestay) tension so that I or my wife could pin the shackle to the bow plate after raising the mast without pulling any muscles.  I have never adjusted that since first setting it up.

Since there's no backstay on a 16 and the mast is not "bendy" but instead designed to tilt slightly forward, I think using something between a tight rig and loose rig will work well on this model (there are plenty of discussions on the web about advantages/disadvantages of both, on racing dinghies).   I just can't get too excited about fine tuning the rig on a CP16 because, for me, the rig works well enough when reasonably tensioned to remove most of the slop and allow the mast to be held in its designed position.

Jett

hunterb4

Thanks for your input, Jett. It sounds as though it is working well for you and might for me as well. I'll see what can be done in that respect. Incidentally, the sailmaker used the CDI F2 for my 19-foot Com-Pac. From all I could find out the F1 CDI furler is suggested for the CP 16/2 The sailmaker is furnishing the proper CDI furler system so I hope he knows his business.

Many thanks.

hunter

JBC

Hunter, my CP16 III came with the #2 furler.  I'm sure the CDI 1 will work just fine.