a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Battery in bow

Started by Cevin c Taylor, February 09, 2013, 12:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacman

Just thinking about using a small AGM sealed motorcycle battery for the nav lights:

It is true that they can emit hydrogen gas from the pressure release safety vent.  However, most of that would take place during charging so, if charging is done before installation, hydrogen emissions would be minimal and should not be much of a problem.

Additionally, hydrogen is lighter than air so any hydrogen that did escape into the boat would rise into the atmosphere and dissipate.

Right now I think I would like to use LED bulb replacements in some Aqua Signal Series 25 lights so current draw would minimal.

Does anyone here have experience with led replacements for the festoon style bulbs?

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

MKBLK

Pacman,

I think that using a motorcycle battery is a good idea. Especially if you are changing over to LED bulbs. I noticed that West Marine currently has a sale of 20% off Dr. LED Replacement Bulbs. The flyer photo shows several different varieties. Maybe other CPYOA members can elaborate.

On something of a tangent - has anyone used one of these batteries to power a trolling motor on a small (2 man/woman) rubber dinghy?

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch

Pacman

Marty,

The motorcycle battery is not likely to have the amp hour rating you would need for a trolling motor.  If you did use it, run time would be very short and the rapid discharge could cause heat buildup and outgassing through the pressure release valve.  I don't think a small AGM battery would stand up for more than a few charge/discharge cycles in that application.

That is why I am considering using low draw LEDs instead of incandesent festoon bulbs.  The discharge rate would be so slow that the battery sould stay cool and happy for a long time.  I have a small low output Harbor Freight solar panel that should recharge at a slow enough rate to avoid heat build up.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

JBC

I use a Werker AGM battery with 35 Ah power.  Its foot print is about 5x8," and 6" tall.  Weighs about 24 lb.  I'm using it for a 46lb trolling motor, and I've never run out of power using various speeds, within a 30 min. time frame (heading out and coming back to the dock, after sailing, or using when the wind completely dies).  I would think it would power lights just fine for quite a while between charges.

Which brings up another reason I like this size battery: weight.  Moving it in and out of the anchor compartment (in my case, in front of the bulkhead on a CP16III) would be easier.  I have a heavier Optima battery up there at the moment and struggle to move it in and out of the storage area for charging (because I have to lift the battery up and over the cut-out lip of the bulkhead).  So, I've been cheating and running the charger cables down through the top hatch cover (standard on my model) with all hatch covers open when charging that battery.  But I plan to replace that one soon with a second Werker.  Also, because I trailer-sail my boat, I carry the battery and motor in the car until ready to launch.  Then I always have the battery charged from home and ready to go, and the lighter battery is easier to swing up into the cockpit and fit, sideways, under the teak lid in the stern on the CP16III.  Spill proof does have advantages.

Finally, the PO installed an electrical plug receiver at the stern and ran cables from it up to the anchor storage area.  I've just found a plug to wire into the motor's cables to match that receiver and plan to try it out by using both small batteries up front, one for lights, etc., and the other for the trolling motor.  

Werker ain't cheap!  About $85 at Battery Plus.  But I've owned one for three years and charged it quite a lot after sailing, with no apparent loss of battery life so far.  German battery...maybe it will hold up for some time to come.

Jett

MKBLK

Hmm... My trolling motor is only 36#. The little battery should work okay for me.

For main power for the trolling motor on the CP16 I utilize a large (group 24?) deep cycle in a Minnkota Power Center (mounted forward of the compression post). I have a battery tender permanently installed in the boat which has kept the battery happy all winter (PA) long. I've run my power cables to the stern where I've built a remote power center containing the bilge pump, motor outlet, volt meter and battery cut-off switch.

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch