a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

David Gerr Jib Down Haul

Started by Citroen/Dave, May 30, 2013, 08:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Citroen/Dave

Does anyone remember the David Gerr Jib Down Haul?  Years ago I assembled one for my 17 footer.  I found it in an Small Boat Journal article, since lost.  

Basically it was the standard jib down haul requiring a small block on the deck below the jib tack and a light line run from the cockpit through the block, through the jib luff clips to the head of the sail.  Release the jib halyard and pull down the jib.

The DG version had a three link section of plastic chain, the center link clipped in a mid located jib luff clip.  The down haul line started at the deck block, went though the lower luff clips to one plastic link, aft through the jib clew, forward to the other free plastic link and up through the upper luff clips to the head of the sail.

By pulling on the down haul, the jib not only is pulled to the deck, it is pulled into a small bundle that will not catch wind.  It is especially useful on larger head sails.

Worth another try. . .

'87 ComPac 16/2  "Keep 'er Wet" renamed "Slow Dancing"

philb Junkie19

Here's a link to a site that shows a version of Gerr's downhaul.  I read somewhere that connecting a jib downhaul to the head can lead it to bind.  I use a regular downhaul that I connect to the first hank below the head. It leaves a bit of jib in the breeze but brings it down.  How did well did the Gerr rig work?
Two small blocks are shown here rather than the 3 rings you and Gerr used.

http://www.thevirtualboatyard.com/captn-pauleys-sketchbook/

Citroen/Dave

Philb,

Thanks for finding Capt. Pauley's sketches for us to see.

I think your advice to attach the downhaul just below the headboard or at the bottom of the headboard is a good idea.  My reprieve of the original DG downhaul on my current CP16 did foul a bit at the plastic chain links.  The use of small blocks instead of the three rings of plastic chain are a far better idea.  

Off to West Marine for two more blocks; they will have to have attachments that will allow them to swivel aft.  

For single handling, you can't beat the David Gerr Down Haul to pull in your headsail.

Thanks,
Citroen/Dave

nies

Another thanks for reminding  me of the Cap't great ideas , reviewing his site this week end.......................nies

Pacman

I like the Dave Gerr downhaul.  

My C16 has a standard downhaul and it works great but I do want to try the DG method.

I wonder if the plastic chain sold at Home Depot would work.

The problem I see is that it is rated for just 17 pounds and it is only sold in 15' lengths.

There is stainless chain available and 3 links might not be too expensive so that might be a better option.

Com Pac 16: Little Boat, Big Smile

Rob

I have a gerr downhaul on my CP 16 for a few years now .What I used on my forestay wire is 1 inch brass rings I picked up from Tractor supply,The rings were a dollar apiece .     Rob

Citroen/Dave

I have used the 17lb rated plastic chain from Lowes.  This is OK for a trial but I plan on finding small swivel blocks for the next installation.  Brass rings should work as well as the plastic links.

In use, release both jib sheets and start the pull on the downhaul.  After the sail bunches up a bit, then release the jib halyard.

capt_nemo

Pacman,

I purchased inexpensive short lengths of SS chain from local hardware stores and cut every other link to provide nice welded SS ovals. I've used them both individually and cut to custom lengths in rigging applications. Always have single links and short lengths on hand in my "spares" box of tricks.

capt_nemo