a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

trailer Title issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Mattlikesbikes, May 30, 2013, 03:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattlikesbikes

I was going through all the paperwork for the CP-19 the other day.  I have all the papers but nothing has been transferred yet I am going to meet up with the Dave the previous owner next week and get everything transferred to my name

Well after going through everything I realized the trailer title is not for the Magic Tilt trailer I have. Dave had a couple trailers with just signed titles and registered the wrong one and guess what he can't find the right title  :(. Which means in the great state of PA I am SOL. Basically in PA if you do not have the trailer title there is not much you can do except buy a trailer with a good title.  He is still looking for it but at this point I do not think it is going to be found

Luckily I was able to find the name of the owner before Dave owned the boat on a old correct trailer registration which also has the title number and vin . I  reached out to him on Facebook this afternoon.  He got back to me and it sounds as though he will be able to get the dupe title for me if we cannot find the other one.

Hopefully it works out because I am not sure what I am going to do if it does not.  I do not have any extra money for another trailer right now.  

MacGyver

Cant register it as a home made trailer (pull the stickers off the sides etc... then stamp in a code you make up for yourself?)

The other way is couldnt last owqner go to DMV (or wherever you guys have to go ) and get a duplicate since it should have been in his name any  way......

Just wondering...... In Illinois, it is never a big deal.... then again, we are a easy state going rapidly down the tubes.....

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

NateD

I ran into some missing title issues in MN and just told them it was home built. They needed dimensions, weight rating for the axle, tire size, and a written description.

Koinonia

May also be able to go through a titling agency in maine.  Maine is very easy to title a trailer from what I understand. 

skip1930

'Well officer, I bought the boat on such and such a day. as you see, here it is.

Boat was sitting on this trailer when I bought it. Been sitting on there for years.

[don't title or put a plate on the trailer and enjoy the ride. Who's gonna care about these 'light weight', 4500 lb and seldom used trailers?]

skip.

Shawn

"Basically in PA if you do not have the trailer title there is not much you can do except buy a trailer with a good title. "

I ran into this when I sold my Flying Scot w/trailer to someone that lived in PA. In MA trailers with a GVWR under 3k pounds do not get titles. So I did not have one to transfer to the new owner. I had also turned in my registration when I transferred my plates to the Compac's trailer.

What PA *eventually* accepted was a letter from the MA RMV explaining the "Title exemption" rule along with a copy of the excise tax bill on the trailer. You might see if you can get something similar from the previous owner and get PA to accept that.

Good luck!

Shawn

Mattlikesbikes

Titling a homebuilt trailer in PA is a PITA you need to get it inspected at a special inspection station take 4 pictures and submit everything to Harrisburg the whole process costs a few hundred dollars and takes a few weeks. I looked into it before when I was looking at one of those cheap Harbor Freight trailers that you put together. I ended up spending a little extra and bought a Carry-on instead.

I was in contact with the owner before the previous owner through Facebook today. He is away right now but it sounds like when he gets back if we cannot find the title he is willing to try to get a duplicate title. If he is able to help out that will be awesome.  ;D

I was actually thinking of going Skip's route and just  taking the boat to the lake next week . Nockamixon is 15 miles from my house so it is not a far drive. That gives me until October 30th to get things squared away.

There is always the chance Dave might find the title. That is why I am waiting a little on asking the old owner getting the dupe title right away plus he is away now  . Once you apply for the dupe the original becomes invalid.

Nothing is easy  :( I still have to get all the mold out this weekend.

Koinonia

Skip going without a tag in some states can get you in a sticky situation.  For example here in SC trailers under 5k Lbs dont have to be titled, I may be wrong on the weight.  Just because I can have a small non titled trailer in SC doesnt mean that i can pull that trailer in another state like NC that titles trailers.  Alot of people think they can say that since their home state doesnt  title the trailers theyre ok but they are wrong.  Friend actually was told to come back to SC and not to go back into NC with his untitled non tagged trailer.  Personally I think he pissed off the trooper.   Ive been using the same tag and information for my big trailer and my santana trailer for a long time :-X.  The registration has it listed as a 1974 so by now its could have been modified ALOT.

Mattlikesbikes

A update on the title issue.

The good news is we found the title.  The bad news is I still need the original owner to be present when we transfer the title.  In PA if it is a instate transfer(PA to PA) it needs to be signed in front of notary public  and stamped or the title needs to transferred with both people present >:(  

I just emailed the previous previous owner and I am hoping he is willing to meet me to do the transfer.   He is located In Philly and I am in the burbs so we are not too far from each other.

I did transfer the boat to my name today so I am officially the owner now  ;D  ;D

MacGyver

Boy O Boy......... what a mess, and they are so crazy on all that......

Kinda glad ours isnt that bad to deal with.

Glad to see the boat is in your name though, that went well!
My wife was extremely pleased to see the boat have not only my name, but hers too........ I personally enjoy seeing my name on a title, really makes me feel like I actually own in, especially with no payments to be made anymore as well, LOL

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Koinonia

Sometimes its nice knowing a notary that can put their stamp on something.  I agree with Mac, I like seeing my name on the title!

Mattlikesbikes

I met up with the previous previous owner after work today turns out he only lived about 15 miles away and was able to transfer the trailer into my name and now have a plate for it. ;D ;D ;D

And as an added bonus he had the Owners Hand Book and various manuals for boat. Too bad the boat was not in as good a condition as the Handbook. Oh well I can't really complain it was pretty much free

Smier

Really glad it worked out for you.  After many frustrating title issues with PennDOT, I can tell you that you were extremely fortunate!  The trailer under my Starwind22 will never be able to get a title or registration because it came from New Jersey(which doesn't title boat trailers) and the previous owner never registered it for the road in NJ...   I will just have to take the chance of using another plate from one of my other trailers on it.  The sad part is, I purchased my camper in CT and I didn't need a title, just a handwritten bill of sale!  Then last year I bought a motorcycle frame for my project bike also in CT and I didn't need a title for it either...  What's the real reason they are so fussy about titles here in Pa?  Sales taxes and fees!!!!  I would gladly pay the sales tax and titling fees on my trailer, but they won't let me...  I have offered to even pay extra fees or sales tax to get it registered, but its no use.  They are trying to prevent people from trying to avoid paying the tax and fees?!?!?  Talk about wanting to beat your head against the wall!!!